Emily Shelton's Reviews > Insurgent

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Oct 25, 2011

Read from May 01, 2012 to October 20, 2013

I think it must be tough to write the second book in a trilogy. In general, authors know how they want their story to begin and how they want it to end, which leaves the tricky task of writing a middle book that moves the story forward without giving away the ending.

With that said, I felt like Insurgent accomplished what is necessary for a successful second book--the story moved along and was not boring, and we learned more details about the characters and world Roth created for this series. I especially enjoyed learning more about each of the factions. The end of Insurgent leaves the door open for a wide variety of possible endings, so I really don't know what is going to happen in the final book.

I liked that Roth did not write pages of recap information from the first book. The story picked up right where Divergent left off, and only briefly reviewed what happened previously when it was pertinent to the story. I also liked that almost all of the characters in Insurgent were also in Divergent, so there was not an overload of new characters to learn in this book.

Insurgent was a fast-paced read that I consumed in a 24 hour time period. It's possible I may have neglected my children today in order to finish this book! It is a great continuation of the series, and I can't wait to see what is in store for us in book 3!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Insurgent.

10/13/2013 marked as: currently-reading