Zoë Danielle's Reviews > A Thousand Beginnings and Endings

A Thousand Beginnings and Endings by Ellen Oh

bookshelves: short-stories, young-adult, mythology, fantasy

I've been motivated to pick up more short story collections lately, but unfortunately, I am really slow at reading them since you have to continue to re-immerse yourself into so many different worlds. That was exactly the case with A Thousand Beginnings and Endings edited by Ellen Oh and Elsie Chapman–I mean, it even says it in the title–but ultimately I am really glad I continued to reach for this collection of Asian myth and legend retellings.

As with most anthologies, A Thousand Beginnings and Endings was certainly a mix, but fortunately it had more hits than misses. It definitely introduced me to several new authors I'd be interested in reading more from. You can find my full thoughts as I read the collection here on GoodReads. A few of my favourites: Roshani Chokshi's prose was lush and vivid; Elsie Chapman's story was poetic and sad with some beautiful imagery; Shveta Thakrar had exceptionally beautiful writing and I loved the way she weaved two tales together; Cindy Pon's story just felt filled with magic; and lastly, Julie Kagawa's story was a great way to finish the book since it was fun, magical, sad and with lovely writing all at the same time. Overall, A Thousand Beginnings and Endings wasn't a flawless collection, but I definitely think Oh and Chapman did a fantastic job assembling it and the stories I loved certainly made it a worthwhile read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Thousand Beginnings and Endings.

January 27, 2018 – Shelved
January 27, 2018 – Shelved as: fantasy
August 12, 2018 – Started Reading
August 12, 2018 –
page 20
5.95% "Just adored the first story Forbidden Fruit by Roshani Chokshi, which is filled with lush, vivid, prose. If this is a sign of things to come, it will be a five star read for sure..."
August 14, 2018 –
page 48
14.29% "I'd give 4 stars to the second story, Olivia's Table by Alyssa Wong. It was good but not quite as magical as the first."
October 6, 2018 –
page 73
21.73% "The ending of Lori Lee's story was fantastic but the rest of it wasn't super memorable."
page 90
26.79% "I just didn't really care for the story by Sona Charaipotra, it felt disjointed and I didn't have an emotional connect to the characters."
page 90
26.79% "Plus, I should add, the lead guy in Charaipotra's story comes across as creepy not romantic..."
page 108
32.14% "I really wanted to like the story by Aliette De Bodard more than I did, it was too confusing and I didn't really care much for the characters."
October 8, 2018 –
page 153
45.54% "E. C. Myers' story was intriguing and original, I really enjoyed the way it blended myth and a contemporary setting. I really liked the video game connection. The explanation of it was great. I wish I had a stronger connection with the main character, but it was really good.

Aisha Saeed's story was a short, sad, South Asian tale & I loved the voice of the strong main character although it wasn't the most creative."
October 9, 2018 –
page 224
66.67% "Preeti Chhibber's story was cute but not super memorable and felt more like middle grade than YA, it also dragged on a bit.

I really enjoyed the message behind Renée Ahdieh's story and the writing and story was good too, I'd consider picking up other books by her.

Unfortunately I didn't connect with or particularly enjoy Rahul Kanakia's story, it seemed to ramble on and kinda bored me."
October 9, 2018 –
page 260
77.38% "I really didn't get the point of Melissa de la Cruz's story, I think it must fit into her other series based on the blue blood mention, but it just doesn't stand alone very well at all.

The story by Elsie Chapman was poetic and sad with some beautiful imagery and a beautiful retelling of the original Chinese folktale."
October 10, 2018 –
page 302
89.88% "The writing of Shveta Thakrar was exceptionally beautiful in this story and I loved how she weaved two tales together. Sadly it looks like Thakrar has only published short fiction but she's featured in another collection (Toil & Trouble) I look forward to reading soon.

I loved Cindy Pon's story, which just felt filled with magic and the voice meant I felt like I was being let in on a secret."
October 10, 2018 –
100.0% "It was great to finish the book with Julie Kagawa's story because I thought it was fun, magical, sad, and with lovely writing all at the same time. I haven't read anything by her because I wasn't all interested in the Iron Fey series but I may have to give one of her books a try in the future."
October 10, 2018 – Finished Reading