Ari's Reviews > Blackout

Blackout by Mira Grant

bookshelves: must-read, 2012, beloved, rereading-material, best-of, male-approved

[SAFE TO READ] And so the story ends..

I've never missed some characters the way I miss these guys, and yeah - I already miss them like crazy.

You know what?... If you want to know how this all ends you’ll just have to read the story and find on your own. What you’re reading now is my heart bleeding all over my keyboard, because this is how it feels letting this story go.

Damn you Mira Grant, for making me love your world as much as I do, for making me cry for a fictional story and some freaking amazing characters that don’t even exist, for making me read a zombie book when I don’t even like zombies. Damn you for being such an amazing writer!

I wish I’d know how to say goodbye, how to close the book with a smile on my lips and not to feel this ache in my heart, I wish there was more to this story .. I find it so hard to get closer to writing the last line about the Masons, so hard to think that I will never again enjoy new adventures with them, so hard not to wait for another book in the series to come out.. It’s all simply too hard even though I understand that at some point we had to get to an ending.

"Anyone coming within a hundred yards of my happy ending had better pray that they’re immune to bullets"
~ Shaun Mason

In terms of concept and world building, this story doesn’t add much to the awesomeness of the series. I think that all the mind-blowing details about this world have been squeezed into Deadline and Feed.
This is just how the story ends. This is how all the pieces are put together and the characters get to the point of really knowing the truth and deciding what to do with it. It is not a perfect ending, it is not a happily ever after for everyone, it still holds some questions and uncertainty, but it is as close to perfect as it can get to be.

I don't know if I am sad that it is really over, or if I am sad because of the way it all ended. I wanted more time with them, one more chapter, one more scene, one more joke, one more zombie to poke with a stick.

I am not sure if you've ever been in love with the characters in a story.. Like really loving them all, like never getting enough of them and wanting at least one more scene with them and missing them like crazy after you've turned the last page of the book.
I don't know if you usually cry when a dear character dies, or if you do it on special occasions like I do, but damn, how I hated every time one of my beloved book-character-friends had passed away, how I wanted to turn back the page and rewrite their ending, how they still haunt my memory and I remember them being so awesome and so funny, and brave, and (oh!) how I’ll miss them every time I’ll thing about this story.

My heart aches.. I am sitting here with my iPad on my lap, trying to say all the things that have been left unspoken, but I can't seem to find the right words.
This review was supposed to be full of spoilers, because I tried so much to hold back so many things about our character in the first 2 books that I deserved to let it all out at the very ending.. But I won’t because there's nothing I could possibly say that could match the awesomeness of this story, and telling you about how great these characters are won’t ever be enough.

Don't be fooled by the star (half star) missing from my rating though.. This story is as amazing as the whole series is; only Blackout is my least favorite of the 3 of them (a bit less funny, with not as much action, but tying nicely all the loose ends and giving these characters what they deserve).
I started reading it late in the evening, I didn't stop all night and I finished it after only 3 hours of sleep in the morning.. Maybe that's why my review notes didn't make much sense when I read them.

So, this is my goodbye for them.. And there’s nothing else I could say, other than the fact that I will really, really.. really miss them all.

I will miss the crazy cute Shaun, who used to think only about another stupid way to poke the dead with a stick for the ratings and who could make me laugh like crazy. I will miss his craziness and the way he could love with all his heart.

I will miss Georgia and her devotion for unraveling the truth, I will miss her black-or-white point of view, I will miss the way she was so sure that she will be the one burying her brother.

I will, miss Becks and her sarcasm, the way she enjoyed being an Irwin, the way she wanted a solid proof before believing something. (and I’ll always think of her when I’ll drink a beer with her name on it)

I will miss Mahir, Maggie, and Alaric, how supportive they’ve been, how devoted to the Masons and their mission, how they’ve risked their lives so many times for the truth to come out, for being there for Shaun when he was going crazy, for supporting him even when he did stupid things, for missing Georgia and for being (together) the best bloggers in the zombie world.

And I will miss Buffy and Dave and (view spoiler) I will miss every single character in the story, even some unrealistic evil characters with their annoying way of telling their 'master plan' before dying.

Goodbye, my dears!

CONCLUSION:
I will probably get to read other books by Mira Grant/ Seanan McGuire, but I will always miss this story in a way I’d never missed another one before.

One favorite quote from the many:
Because we chose to tell the truth
(The cool of age, the rage of youth)
And stand against the lies of old
(The whispers soft, the tales untold)
We find ourselves the walking dead
(The loves unkept, the words unsaid)
And in the crypt of all we've known
(The broken blade, the breaking stone)
We know that we were in the right
(The coming dawn, the ending night).
So here is when we stop the lies.
The time is come. We have to Rise.

~From Dandelion Mine, the blog of Magdalene Grace Garcia, August 7, 2041.

This review can also be found at ReadingAfterMidnight.com

____________________________________________

Blog (EN) | Facebook | Twitter | Tumblr | Bloglovin' | Blog (RO)
____________________________________________

Pre-reading thoughts:
Well if this didn't make an impression on you, I might need to try plan B:

Come on!.. I could be turned into a zombie in a year, we don't want that to happen, right? :D

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blackout.

Quotes Ari Liked

Mira Grant
“I honestly have no idea what's going on anymore. I just need to find something I can hit.
(Shaun Mason)”

Mira Grant
“Fuck survivor's guilt. I'm not supposed to be the guilty one here. The people who made me the last man standing... they're the guilty ones. And they're the ones who should be afraid.”

“Words have power.”

Mira Grant
“It's the oldest story in the world. Boy loves girl. Boy loses girl. Boy gets girl back thanks to the unethical behavior of megalomaniacal mad scientists who never met a corpse they wouldn't try to resurrect. Anyone coming within a hundred yards of my happy ending had better pray that they're immune to bullets. - Shaun Mason”

Mira Grant
“Fuck it. Let's blow some shit up." - Shaun Mason”

Mira Grant
“...but that was the thing about reality. It didn't need to make sense.”

Mira Grant
“There's only one thing we never wrote down. You know what it was.”

Mira Grant
“Given a choice between life and death, choose life. Given a choice between right and wrong, choose what's right. And given a choice between a terrible truth and a beautiful lie, choose the truth every time.”

Mira Grant
“You know, addressing my crazy by name doesn’t exactly help me stay sane,” I said.
“Nothing can help you stay sane at this point, Mason,” said Becks. “That ship has sailed.”

October 25, 2011 – Shelved
October 25, 2011 – Shelved as: must-read
October 25, 2011 – Shelved as: 2012
May 22, 2012 – Started Reading
May 22, 2012 –
page 0
0.0% "yes!!! one click deliver to my iPad.."
May 23, 2012 –
100.0% "Oh, but I still wanted just one last chapter with them.. I'll miss you guys forever :')"
May 23, 2012 – Finished Reading
December 19, 2012 – Shelved as: beloved
April 20, 2013 – Shelved as: rereading-material
May 15, 2013 – Shelved as: best-of
December 2, 2014 – Shelved as: male-approved

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

Giselle AWWWWWW. I should really read book 1 soon huh? :P

message 2: by Ari (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ari I think you do.
Book one is wonderful, book 2 is amazingly wonderful.. and I think I will have enough time to come up with a perfect '3 words description' for the next one LOL

message 3: by Ari (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ari 2 more freaking days!!!
*breathe in, breathe out, breathe in, breathe out*

Wendy Darling Yay, you're reading it!

message 5: by Ari (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ari Oh, my favorite series is really over... Can I cry now?

message 6: by Josheka (new)

Josheka Whoa. After reading your review I feel like starting this series NOW!! :P

message 7: by Ari (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ari Josheka wrote: "Whoa. After reading your review I feel like starting this series NOW!! :P"

Hahaa, I did the same few months ago - I read a review and fell in love with the story. I hope that you will like this series, it is really good.

Laura I’m not looking, I’m not looking! I will be back to read your review—I swear! I’m spending my weekend with Shaun! :) Saw the stars though! So glad you liked the ending. The ending! Ugh! Not thinking about that right now. Haha….Have a wonderful weekend, Ari!

Wendy Darling Dude. What an awesome tribute! I feel your pain and am sending you a big hug.

message 10: by Ari (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ari @Laura: It's gonna be a great weekend then!
Give Shaun a hug and a kiss for me, as I already miss him so much! And don't worry, I am not telling a thing about the book in my review (I use to not say things in way too many words these days, LOL)

@Wendy: Thank you, I am sending you a big hug as well, you must know how it feels to miss these guys as much as I do :) Such an awesome series.. I love it!

Laura That was perfect and lovely, Ari! My heart hurts. I still miss them! *sigh*

message 12: by Ari (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ari Oh my, oh my, oh my.. Did Shaun just like my review? :D
(well, not that Shaun but one can dream, right?)

message 13: by Joan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joan What an amazing review! I've been thinking of reading this series...you just gave me the push I need to get started. To love characters that much must mean the series is fantastic! :)

message 14: by Ari (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ari It is absolutely amazing, though I must confess that the first one is a bit slow, as there is a lot of world building happening there. But it is worth it, one of the best series out there!

PS: Keep away from spoilers! There are plenty on GR (some not even marked as such).

message 15: by Joan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joan Thanks for the warnings. I'll keep away until I finish reading them.