Inge's Reviews > A Girl Like You

A Girl Like You by Gemma Burgess

Oct 25, 2011

bookshelves: chicklit, laugh-out-loud-funny, main-character-is-cool, smiles-a-plenty, all-time-favourites, love-the-romance, love-interest-is-awesome, 1to-reread
Read from February 26 to March 27, 2014

1. Be cool
2. Be detached
3. Act brutal
4. Stay in control
5. Bulletproof
6. Always leave them before they leave you.

After being in a relationship for 7 years, Abigail is back on the market and completely lost. She doesn’t have a clue what she’s doing and starts taking dating advice from her womanising flatmate Robert. With these 6 tips in mind and a little help from her friends, she goes out into the dating world and acts like a dude. Apparently, this is the key to success. Everything is going very smoothly, she’s getting loads of male attention and she’s having so much fun... until she meets her match. Will she be able to keep her cool?

I loved everything about this book. I loved all the characters (except the ones you’re supposed to hate, of course, but even those are hard to hate after a while) and I loved the storyline. It was very original. Just the idea of a woman trying to act like a man to get dates and having a womaniser helping her out every step of the way. The writing style was great, like Abigail was personally telling me the story, using sentences like ‘between you and me’ and stuff like that. I felt like she was really talking to me and it added to the reading experience. Even the swear words added to the story! Who doesn’t like the words ‘fucknuckle’, ‘cocksmoker’ and ‘cockmonkey’?

The relationship between Abigail and Robert was the most adorable thing ever, even if they were just friends. Their constant banter; their effortless, comfortable friendship; their insults and jokes which had me laughing along with them. And then there were the sad parts where they had to look after each other and they cheered each other up. It all felt so natural and cute and that’s everything I want in a best friend (or a relationship for that matter). I could read about these two for ages, they were so much fun!

I would recommend A Girl Like You to everyone who needs a good laugh and/or a light read. This one had me laughing out loud and grinning from ear to ear. This isn't ordinary chicklit. This is chicklit with balls.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Girl Like You.

05/31/2012 page 102
31.0% "Loving this so far!"
05/31/2012 page 116
36.0% "I am loving these swear words. My current personal favourites are 'fucknuckle' and 'cocksmoker'."
06/01/2012 page 236
73.0% "This is so addictive. That is some goood chicklit!"
02/26/2014 marked as: currently-reading
02/26/2014 page 1
0.0% "Needed something happy to read alongside Stephen King. Because holy shit." 2 comments
03/28/2014 marked as: read

message 1: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Great review, Inge! I'm looking forward to reading this one soon. :)

Inge Victoria wrote: "Great review, Inge! I'm looking forward to reading this one soon. :)"

Thank you! It's such an amazing book :D

message 3: by Dija (new) - added it

Dija Awesome review, Inge! This seems like the perfect comfort read. :)

Inge Dija wrote: "Awesome review, Inge! This seems like the perfect comfort read. :)"

Thank you, Dija! It really is a good comfort read. I laughed out loud so many times. This would be the literary equivalent of chocolate!

message 5: by Kruti (new) - added it

Kruti Love the review, Inge. It's going straight on my to-read shelf :D

Inge Kruti wrote: "Love the review, Inge. It's going straight on my to-read shelf :D"

Gracias, Kruti :D you really should read it!

message 7: by Bonita. E (new)

Bonita. E Woaaaah its looks so cooool! Want to read it next :3

message 8: by Bonita. E (new)

Bonita. E Woaaaah its looks so cooool! Want to read it next :3

Inge Hinata_bonita wrote: "Woaaaah its looks so cooool! Want to read it next :3"

Yes, do! :D

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Love it, nice review :D I'll probably put this up the list.

message 11: by Becki (new) - added it

Becki Great review Inge. This seems like a great summer read.