Corinne Morier's Reviews > Gadget Girl: The Art of Being Invisible

Gadget Girl by Suzanne Kamata

50203380

it was ok
bookshelves: dnf, japan-related

Rather disappointing. I DNF'ed this at chapter six--the end of the free Kindle sample.

The writing isn't bad. The character at least has personality. But the beginning is just way too slow. There's no conflict, nothing really to make you want to keep reading. For the premise of the book--going to Paris when she'd rather be in Japan--it doesn't even get mentioned at all during the first six chapters. It's just too slow. And a novel can have a slow beginning and still be good, but there should be some sort of problem for the character to be dealing with. Aiko doesn't really have any problems. She has a good relationship with her mom, her manga is pretty popular (she doesn't want to be outed as the author of said manga, but that wasn't enough of a problem or dire enough to create a situation to make me want to read further. Whereas if someone had actually discovered she was the author of the manga and Aiko was trying to actively prevent her identity from being exposed, that would be more interesting of a situation), she doesn't have any problems at school, and she's not even trying to catch the eye of a guy. She's just too passive, and spends too much time reminiscing about past events rather than letting us experience her life in the here and now, giving us a problem she's trying to solve, letting us become invested in her situation, and I just did not care about her enough to actually want to read further.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gadget Girl.

Finished Reading