V's Reviews > Al Capone Throws Me a Curve

Al Capone Throws Me a Curve by Gennifer Choldenko

bookshelves: 2018, first-reads

Before beginning high school, Moose struggles to join the baseball team and care for a sister with autism, all while living on Alcatraz Island.

Moose is the son of the assistant warden on Alcatraz. He encounters many obstacles in his quest join a baseball team during the summer before his freshman year. Moose must look after Piper, the warden's troublesome daughter. He must convince an unreasonable baseball captain who wants Alcatraz souvenirs to let him play. And above all, Moose must care for Natalie, his sister with autism who turns 17.

Heart-pounding action and authentic characters grab the reader and don't let go until the end. The real strength of Al Capone Throws Me a Curve is Moose and Natalie's relationship. Moose loves his sister dearly, becomes exasperated at times with her behavior, and balances their individual goals. Natalie, meanwhile, asserts herself as a young lady and develops many new social skills. Readers with siblings who have differences, be they social, mental, or physical, can identify with Moose's feelings, thoughts, and reactions to his sister. I read this book at every opportunity over the past few days, and I cried when it ended. The other children's books that made me cry were Wonder and Island of the Blue Dolphins .

I received a copy of this through a GoodReads giveaway.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Al Capone Throws Me a Curve.

January 12, 2018 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)
January 12, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read (Hardcover Edition)
January 26, 2018 – Started Reading
January 26, 2018 – Shelved
January 27, 2018 –
page 61
January 30, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018
January 30, 2018 – Finished Reading
February 5, 2018 – Shelved as: first-reads

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Gennifer (new)

Gennifer Choldenko Thanks for your review V! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

twice_baked✌️ oh mannn those books made me cry too! Might check this one out :)

message 3: by Gennifer (new)

Gennifer Choldenko twice_baked✌️ wrote: "oh mannn those books made me cry too! Might check this one out :)"

I'd love to know what you think if you decide to read the new one!