Mary Chrapliwy's Reviews > The Broken Teaglass

The Broken Teaglass by Emily Arsenault

Oct 25, 2011

bookshelves: netgalley-books
Read in October, 2011

This is a literary novel about a young college graduate who begins to work at a dictionary company and makes friends with a female coworker that he imagines he could have more of a relationship with. The story and the friendship comes to life thanks to finding citations from a non-existent book that slowly weave an amazing tale.

Arsenault creates characters in her story that feel real. She tells us the story from first person point of view, richly expanding characterization of Billy and the surrounding cast of characters, especially his newfound friend Mona. Arsenault managed to make what could have been a dull story, highly interesting, descriptive, and suspenseful.

Alas, though this was a good book, I have to give it a 4 out of 5. When I reached the end, I felt like I missed something...like everything just stopped. I looked back and forth at the pages and realized the story was indeed over. It ended a little abruptly. I expected a well-woven ending to match the rest of the well-woven tale. Still, a literary story well told and definitely a worthy read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Broken Teaglass.