Chelsea Humphrey's Reviews > Sunday Silence

Sunday Silence by Nicci French

47207032

bookshelves: from-publisher

As a reader, I'm still very new to dynamic duo Nicci French's writing, but I have to say I'm becoming more addicted with every book of theirs that I pick up. (In case you aren't familiar with the authors, Nicci French is a pseudonym for English wife-and-husband writing team Nicci Gerrard and Sean French.) While this is technically book #7 in the Freida Klein series, it's really book #2 for me, as I just jumped on board last year with Dark Saturday (book #6). I still hope to go back 'round to the beginning and catch up on all the novels I've missed prior to these, but in the meantime I've become taken with psychologist Freida Klein and her merry band of law enforcement friends. In case you're wondering these books do have a running backstory, but I found myself easily able to catch on to the plot based on just the two books I've read.

"Glendower. I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
Hotspur. Why, so can I, or so can any man,
But will they come when you do call for them?

-William Shakespeare
Henry IV Part One (Act III, Scene I)

If you've been following my reading journey for 2 years or 2 minutes, you'll know that I am intensely drawn to any type of crime fiction procedural. Police procedural, legal drama, clinical psychologist; I can't get enough, but I especially love when I find one that balances the ongoing series plotting equally with the crime being solved in each installment of said series. This continuous story is one of the most excellent, in those regards, on the market today; I cannot stress enough what a pleasure it is to be lost in the case at hand while also immersing myself in the drama and chaos of the characters' personal lives. Obviously the plot in this particular segment immediately intrigued me; a body found in the flooring of our main, reoccurring character is no easy feat to write. No plot spoilers here, but it was nicely done and my mind is till trying to play catch up from all the whiplash induced twists and turns.

A safe space. Frieda had always hoped that her consulting room was a place of escape for her patients, a place of refuge. Now it felt like that for her... Sometimes the silence could last for many minutes. At certain times it had lasted almost the whole session. Silence could be a kind of therapy."

As if the above mentioned wasn't enough reason to pick up the series, one of my favorite parts of reading a Frieda Klein novel is the DAD GUM CLIFFHANGER ENDINGS. I mean... How can one possibly expect to wait for the next book? The last sentence alone was enough to make me flip through the final pages a few times to make sure my copy wasn't missing something. WELL DONE YOU FIENDS!!! To say I'm waiting with bated breath for the next installment would be a gross understatement, so I'll just sign off letting you know that, whether you start all the way at the beginning or with book #6, this is a series worth looking at. Highly recommended to my fellow procedural nerds!

*Many thanks to the publisher for providing my copy.

----------

So I devoured this entire 400+ page book yesterday. Clearly I loved it! And that final sentence?!?! *GASP* WHERE IS THE NEXT BOOK?! Full review to come.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sunday Silence.

January 26, 2018 – Shelved
February 8, 2018 – Started Reading
February 9, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)

Malia So glad you enjoyed this, too, Chelsea!!

Chelsea Humphrey Malia wrote: "So glad you enjoyed this, too, Chelsea!!"

🤗🤗🤗

message 3: by Sarbjot (new)

Sarbjot WHAT DID YOU DO??!! I’m hooked now, my tbr is gonna look HUGE!!! Thank you 😇🤗

Chelsea Humphrey Sarbjot wrote: "WHAT DID YOU DO??!! I’m hooked now, my tbr is gonna look HUGE!!! Thank you 😇🤗"

🤗 YOU’RE WELCOME

message 5: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Sounds good! Looking forward to your review!

Chelsea Humphrey Deanna wrote: "Sounds good! Looking forward to your review!"

Thanks De! Hoping to catch up on reviews this weekend!

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ Lovely review, Chelsea <3 Glad it was a winner xx

Chelsea Humphrey Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ wrote: "Lovely review, Chelsea <3 Glad it was a winner xx"

Thank you Alex!

Holly  B (semi-hiatus until Jan) REALLY enjoyed this too! Great review Chelsea!

Chelsea Humphrey Holly wrote: "REALLY enjoyed this too! Great review Chelsea!"

Thanks Holly; glad you enjoyed this as well!

message 11: by Loretta (new)

Loretta Nyhan I love Nicci French. Looking forward to this one!

Chelsea Humphrey Loretta wrote: "I love Nicci French. Looking forward to this one!"

I hope you enjoy it Loretta! I'm super excited to be reading your book soon. <3

message 13: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Great review, as always, Chelsea! Sounds like a series that is right up my alley. I will be adding her to my list of new authors to try this year. Thanks!

Chelsea Humphrey Melissa wrote: "Great review, as always, Chelsea! Sounds like a series that is right up my alley. I will be adding her to my list of new authors to try this year. Thanks!"

Thank you Melissa; I do hope you enjoy these books! 🤗

message 15: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne I've just finished this, having read the whole series. Do you think there will be another book in the series? I was thinking as the days if the week are now all done, that this would be the final book. Would love there to be more...

message 16: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne Ignore the comment above, just found book #8, Day of the Dead, which is the last in the series. It came out on 12th July.