Hollis 's Reviews > The Girl in the Tower

The Girl in the Tower by Katherine Arden

bookshelves: 2018-reads, all-the-feels, a-smattering-of-lols, fantasy, family-focused, finished-in-february-2018, heroines-i-love, hist-fiction, library-read, romance, seriously-kick-ass-lady-protag, ya
Read 2 times. Last read February 15, 2018.

"Has the world run dry of warriors? All out of brave lords? Are they sending out maidens these days to do the work of heroes?"
"There were no heroes. There was only me."

So, lately I've decided to cleverly wait to read series until they near completion so that a) I can remember things better and b) I'm not forced to wait year after year for the next book. I thought starting the Winternight Trilogy during the year book three was to come out was a smart plan.

Witch. We call such women so, because we have no other name.

Except now I have to wait until August because this series, which I had been told was so good, is actually fucking excellent and arrrrrg.

It is going to end. One day. This world of wonders, where steam in a bathhouse can be a creature that speaks prophecy. One day, there will be only bells and processions. The chyerti will be fog and memory and stirrings in the summer barley.

I honestly don't know how to review this book. So much of this story relies on book one's plot and information but the basics are : THE GIRL IN THE TOWER is a story about a brave girl and her impossible horse. But it's also a story about the tug of war between the faith in the old world, the myths and the legends, vs that of God and wealth and power is still a driving force. It's about the harsh bite of cold, the hollow cramp of an empty belly, villages burned to the ground, girls stolen away in the night, and a power desperate to be unleashed from its bridle. And through all that, Vasya is still fighting for her place in the world -- not that of marriage or stuck in a convent, but for adventure.. and to be believed by those she loves. The politics in book two take a sharp turn, though they've always been present, and an uprising must be stopped even as an ghost from Vasya's past, who plays a significant role in a present-day evil, is laid to rest.

"Curiosity is a dreadful trait in girls."

And then there's the winter-king, the frost-demon, Death, Morozko.. I just can't. I mean, what? No. I refuse.

"You cannot take vengeance on a whole people because of the doings of a few wicked men."

Arden's series is atmospheric, harsh, brutal, unkind, beautiful, magical, wonderful, hopeful.

I highly highly recommend.

5 "I wish you'd learn how to fight properly before you start getting into them" stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl in the Tower.

January 26, 2018 – Shelved
February 15, 2018 – Shelved as: romance
February 15, 2018 – Shelved as: seriously-kick-ass-lady-protag
February 15, 2018 – Shelved as: ya
February 15, 2018 – Finished Reading
December 10, 2018 – Started Reading (Kindle Edition)
December 10, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018-reads (Kindle Edition)
December 10, 2018 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
December 10, 2018 – Shelved as: all-the-feels (Kindle Edition)
December 10, 2018 – Shelved as: family-focused (Kindle Edition)
December 10, 2018 – Shelved as: fantasy (Kindle Edition)
December 10, 2018 – Shelved as: end-of-series-reread (Kindle Edition)
December 10, 2018 – Shelved as: finished-in-decembe... (Kindle Edition)
December 10, 2018 – Shelved as: grief-or-loss (Kindle Edition)
December 10, 2018 – Shelved as: heroines-i-love (Kindle Edition)
December 10, 2018 – Shelved as: hist-fiction (Kindle Edition)
December 10, 2018 – Shelved as: library-read (Kindle Edition)
December 10, 2018 – Shelved as: retellings (Kindle Edition)
December 10, 2018 – Shelved as: romance (Kindle Edition)
December 10, 2018 – Shelved as: seriously-kick-ass-... (Kindle Edition)
December 10, 2018 – Shelved as: ya (Kindle Edition)
December 10, 2018 – Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy Malek concepcion So should I wait until August to read this then?

Hollis Amy wrote: "So should I wait until August to read this then?"

I mean, it's still totally worth reading ASAP buuuut I'm sure you're not without things to distract you until nearer to the end of the year. ; )

Andi So hard to wait for the next one!

Hollis Andi wrote: "So hard to wait for the next one!"

omg it is!! I'm dying for the UK cover reveal, too. I want the pretties inside and out.

Michelle I just want to ditto your review

Hollis Michelle wrote: "I just want to ditto your review"

aaa thank you! I see a five and I'm excited. off to read yours.

♆Hayley (TheVillainousReader) WOW! Your review is amazing and so perfect! So happy I have you to fangirl over Morozko with🖤❄️

Hollis ♆Hayley wrote: "WOW! Your review is amazing and so perfect! So happy I have you to fangirl over Morozko with🖤❄️"

yesss SAME. <3