Marta Barrales's Reviews > To Kill a Kingdom

To Kill a Kingdom by Alexandra Christo

bookshelves: favorites, i-need

For some reason, when I started reading To Kill a Kingdom, I was convinced that romance wasn’t a part of it. It was because of that, that when the romance came, it hit me like a train. And let me tell you, it was so good. This is probably one of the top five retellings I’ve read in a very long time.

“Love is a word we scarcely hear in the ocean. It exists only in my song and on the lips of the princes I’ve killed. And I have never heard it from my mother’s mouth.”

Lira is a siren, and the heir to the kingdom that is the entire ocean. She has devoted her life to become the monster the Sea Queen expects her to be. And hunts human princes for their hearts to prove herself as a true siren. While Elian is a human prince, who in turn wanders the sea, killing sirens as retribution for their assaults on humans’ lives. He loathes his royal responsibilities and hopes the day he becomes king never comes.

Both become unlikely allies on their journey to find a crystal that could either destroy humans or sirens forever.

This was one of those rare times when a book lives up to it’s hype. It is a very strange thing when a main character that is promised to be wicked and badass really turns out that way. And Lira alone wins all the stars, she’s cunning, smart and unapologetic. She doesn’t hesitate to use Elian to her benefit.

In turn, Elian isn’t prince charming either. He’s definitely not defenceless, and though not completely wicked, he doesn’t lack his share of cruelty.

As a team, they work wonders. They complement each other, even before they start to trust in one another. Their romance is mostly a slow-burn, leaving the actual romantic parts to the end. It is, though, a character driven book, so the focus of the story relies on their relationship but not in a romantic way.

The writing style was nice, with its fair share of epic quotes. There weren’t any info-dumps which made the story flow nicely without neglecting the world building at all. I did think that in some cases the secondary characters came off as a tiny bit one dimensional. But I don’t think it hurt the story, so I won’t hold it against it.

Overall, I thought it was a pretty solid stand alone, and would recommend it to any fairy tale or YA fan.

INSTAGRAM | BLOG | PINTEREST | GOODREADS

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Kill a Kingdom.

January 26, 2018 – Shelved
January 26, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
March 11, 2018 – Started Reading
March 11, 2018 –
5.0% "Alright, I've read all your superb reviews, so I'm reading this too."
March 12, 2018 –
12.0% "SO many Little Mermaid references!"
March 14, 2018 –
36.0% "I'm so mad right now. I have this feeling this book is very, very good; but I just can't get into it, I have way too much work right now :("
March 16, 2018 –
84.0% "OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD"
March 17, 2018 – Finished Reading
March 22, 2018 – Shelved as: favorites
March 22, 2018 – Shelved as: i-need

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Nanly Doesn't it just make you want MORE??? Haha. Glad you enjoyed this too!

Marta Barrales Nanly wrote: "Doesn't it just make you want MORE??? Haha. Glad you enjoyed this too!"

Yes! I definitely crave more, but somehow I'm kind of glad it was a standalone, I don't know. I positively adored it, the romance though, I really wasn't expecting it, but it was so good, so, so good.