Rebecca's Reviews > First, We Make the Beast Beautiful: A New Story About Anxiety

First, We Make the Beast Beautiful by Sarah Wilson

liked it
bookshelves: newbury-library, mental-health, skimmed, memoirs

Sarah Wilson is an Australian journalist and lifestyle guru famous for her book I Quit Sugar. This is a memoir-in-bits of her life with bipolar disorder and anxiety, with lots of references to other writers and strategies for things that might help. The title comes from a Chinese proverb: you have to know and appreciate what you’re fighting before you have a hope of overcoming it. I didn’t much like the structure – 137 fairly short sections; it just feels like a failure to come up with a successful narrative line. There’s also a lot of name-dropping: the first sentence starts “The first time I met His Holiness The Dalai Lama…”!

Favorite lines: “One of the dear, dear things about getting older is that it does eventually dawn on you that there is no guidebook. One day it suddenly emerges: No one bloody gets it! None of us knows what we’re doing.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First, We Make the Beast Beautiful.

January 26, 2018 – Shelved
January 26, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
September 12, 2018 – Shelved as: newbury-library
September 12, 2018 – Shelved as: mental-health
September 12, 2018 – Shelved as: skimmed
September 12, 2018 – Shelved as: memoirs

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Thanks for including that favorite line.

Rebecca Margaret wrote: "Thanks for including that favorite line."

Always good to be reminded that one is not the only one wandering around clueless :)