Joséphine (Word Revel)'s Reviews > The Smoke Thieves

The Smoke Thieves by Sally Green

Initial thoughts: Given the title, I expected more smoke thieves and less court politics. Out of the five points-of-view, only Tash was fully involved with demon smoke. At least Catherine was consumed with learning its significance. Edyon and March got involved by accident, though smoke only mattered peripherally. To Ambrose, whether or not this smoke existed was no matter. So yeah, all in all, demons, smoke and demon smoke just wasn't as integral to the book, which was a bit a let-down. It seems it'll be more central to the sequel but I'm not sure if I'm wholly interested in what I know will happen.

I also thought that the perspectives were spread so thin across the book that the depth of individual characters suffered. Their lives didn't intertwine all too much. Instead, The Smoke Thieves was a lead-up to their meetings to set up a common conflict. Edyon's storyline could've easily been summarised upon meeting the rest, in favour of greater exploration of Catherine and Tash's lives. I don't even know why Ambrose and March needed their own perspectives to tell the bigger story beyond demonstrating how vast their medieval world was with all these kingdoms, towns and villages.

While it seems like I've had a lot of grief with The Smoke Thieves, I didn't hate it. I liked the setting, Catherine and Tash, and also Gravell intrigued me. The premise with the demon smoke was engaging too. I just didn't get the angle and approach taken to actually convey the story, especially since three out of five characters could've easily taken on minor roles without detracting from the overarching plot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Smoke Thieves.

January 26, 2018 – Shelved
January 26, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
October 5, 2018 – Shelved as: own-and-to-read-fiction
January 11, 2019 – Started Reading
January 16, 2019 –
page 212
41.41% "There are way too many points of view. I mean, five first person perspectives? Is this really necessary? Not sure if even an epic meet-up of all these characters would redeem this narrative choice for me."
January 16, 2019 –
page 352
68.75% "It’s starting to make sense why there are 5 POVs but I still think that’s spreading the narrative thin for each individual character across the book."
January 17, 2019 – Shelved as: 3-stars