Erin's Reviews > The Lake

The Lake by Banana Yoshimoto

Oct 25, 2011

liked it
Read from October 25 to 27, 2011

I've read five or six of Yoshimoto's novels, and this one falls in the middle. It wasn't as good as Kitchen (which remains, by far, my favorite) but not as weak as Goodbye, Tsugumi. This is a quick read, and the style, ending, and pace made it feel more like a short story.

I like how Yoshimoto slowly exposes the character of Nakajima. I read on Good Reads that his big secret is revealed on the back cover, but I read this on my Kindle so I didn't have that problem. I think knowing his secret would ruin most of this book, as the true beauty of the writing is showcased by that slow revelation. I also enjoy Yoshimoto's simple, conversational prose - it's definitely easy reading, which is something we all need once in a while.

Sometimes the dialogue was a bit heavy handed and filled with aphorisms. I guess that's true of most of her work, but it's been a while since I've read one of her books. I also think this is a very dysfunctional love story, but certainly not as dysfunctional as, say, the love story in Twilight. I did like that the narrator recognized its dysfunction, but she sort of pushed it all away in her mind because of her love for him.

Overall, I'd recommend this over some of her other books. It's probably a good introduction to her writing style and stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lake.