Meagan's Reviews > The Dying Game

The Dying Game by Åsa Avdic

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, suspense, trl17

I really like the idea behind this book. It's set up on an island, with no way on or off, and people keep dying. Well. Being murdered. And there's an added element of conspiracy and surveillance that gives the whole thing a hint of KGB, fascist, Soviet-communist creepiness. It's like a new take on And Then There Were None, which is one of a very few mysteries I can claim to have legitimately enjoyed, with some 1984 mixed in for good measure. I really, really like the idea here. Unfortunately, I felt like the book stumbled slightly in the execution.

The main character is a woman recovering from what feels like extreme exhaustion with a hint of PTSD when the government comes knocking, offering her a much better paying job. All she has to do is go to a remote island with a bunch of other people, fake her own murder with the help of a doctor/accomplice, and then observe them through the walls and surveillance cameras, reporting back her opinions about their reactions and personalities. Naturally, things don't go as planned. Watching the whole situation melt down was really interesting and fun, especially since you can't be sure who can be trusted (including the narrator).

The wrap-up felt less satisfying for me. The explanation of what went wrong and why didn't feel organic, and I walked away wishing for a little bit more. The book is relatively short, though, and the premise is so intriguing that I think it just might be worth a read regardless.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dying Game.

Started Reading