Juli's Reviews > The Pisces

The Pisces by Melissa Broder

bookshelves: netgalley-arcs

I would like to thank NetGalley, the publisher and the author for my advanced copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

This book gripped me right from the beginning. I felt for the protagonist. I laughed with Lucy and I mourned with her. She was so relatable. A slew of meaningless sexual encounters while going to therapy for "love addiction", her lovable relationship with her sister's dog, the daily ennui, the trying to get by, the setbacks, the progress, and the questionable friendships she formed were all incredibly intriguing. And then she meets the merman - what should've felt silly or weird as a plot point totally worked. I had no idea mermen erotica could be interesting.

Over time, however, as Lucy's obsession with the handsome "swimmer" became more and more unhealthy, she turned into an unbearable, selfish individual and I stopped liking her entirely. The merman wasn't any better. What appeared as worldliness, intellect, and uniqueness at first, quickly turned out to be arrogance and egotism. And honestly, at that point, between their egocentric acts (her needing John to be with her at all times on land and him wanting her to join her underwater) and the raw and crass descriptions of their sexual encounters, I grew bored with the story, and that is really the only reason why I am not giving the book 5 stars. There is only so much merman sex you can take.

If we take the appearance of the merman and the potential for drowning herself (aka living with him in the ocean) as a metaphor for depression, the novel takes on a very meta and powerful meaning in regards to mental illness. And for that, I tip my hat to Melissa Broder. This reminded me a little of the movie Babadook, which depicted depression as this scary monster haunting the heroine's house.

See my blog (spoilers possible!) here: https://ichleseblog.wordpress.com/201....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pisces.

January 25, 2018 – Started Reading