Kevin Murphy's Reviews > Darkest Fear

Darkest Fear by Harlan Coben

Oct 24, 2011

This effort was MUCH more interesting than its predecessor. After a massive disappointment in "The Final Detail," Coben comes back to form. This book really moves. Obviously it's a departure from the common theme of the series (and I'll address that in a moment), but coming from a reader who lost his father recently enough for the experience to still be fresh, it not only moves with the speed of a bullet train, but it moves the heart as well. There were still minor issues involving the "Ocean's 12" effect - a chapter devoted solely to the purpose of Myron Bolitar describing, instead Coben SHOWING, to us all of the ins and outs of what "really" happened. Those issues, however, I will forgive in this case, save for the subtraction of one star on my review. I do feel the need to mention this as well: why is this series abandoning the central theme which, at least in my opinion, is what set it apart from similarly genred novels and made it so freshly captivating... Sports? This could be a problem going forward, unless Coben retires the character. Also... Where the heck is Win? Why is Is he so noticeably absent since book 5? He was the second most interesting part of these books, but for some reason his involvement has been scaled too far back. I hope both of these issues are addressed in future plots, but for the time being, I will merely settle for - and praise - Harlan Coben for stepping his game up for "Darkest Fear."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkest Fear.