Kristi | Hidden Staircase |'s Reviews > Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine

Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman

bookshelves: audio-version, contemporary, fiction

I didn't read much of the blurb before adding this to my TBR, but I had heard a lot of good buzz about Eleanor Oliphant. This book was not at all what I was expecting. I mean, it started out how I thought it would. Eleanor lives an independent life, socially not fitting in with anyone. She has strict routines and guidelines that she follows in her life. But from there it went in directions I did not expect.

Eleanor goes to a rock concert and determines that the singer is who she should marry. So she begins a regimen to improve herself to get ready for their first meeting, which of course she's going to have to arrange somehow. But then as this story moves along, fate takes a turn and moves her life in a different direction. I don't want to say too much, I don't like spoilers.

The biggest surprise for me was the relationship between Eleanor and her mother.

Loved this book. I loved the growth Eleanor experiences throughout, and the sense of self-worth she develops. At times, the book was both funny and sad. At the end I wanted to find out ultimately what was next for Eleanor, but at the same time I also felt like it was a great place to leave her. A really satisfying read. If you like The Rosie Project, this book is along a similar vein.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine.

January 25, 2018 – Shelved
January 25, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
June 4, 2018 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
June 4, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read (Paperback Edition)
February 20, 2020 – Started Reading