Sharne' Cherry's Reviews > Carver: A Life in Poems

Carver by Marilyn Nelson

Oct 24, 2011

bookshelves: to-read

1.Poetry
2. A collection of poems that tell the story of George Washington Carver's life through his point of view as well as others.
3.a. Point of View
b. The way the poems are organized in this book help the reader the understand what the author is trying to convey. I think the poems selected were great in that they were able to express Carver's own point of view. As a result of this, the reader is conveyed a sense of emotion. Carver's own point of view allows the reader to get a very personal view of his life and times. Very interesting to read for me because I love reading about people and times before me. History interests me as a whole. As for children, I'm not really sure that they will enjoy this book as much because it might be a little hard to interpret.
c.The historical footnotes in the text help to clarify the poems and the photographs of Carver, his family and friends, his creations, etc. help to create a better understanding of this incredible man.
4. This book can be tied into black history month to help identify black persons who aren't recognized for their work in history.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carver.