Ami Blackwelder's Reviews > She Speaks to Angels

She Speaks to Angels by Ami Blackwelder

Oct 24, 2011

(Review from the author)

Review from Night Owl Reviews- 4 1/2 stars

She Speaks to Angels is most assuredly not what I expected. What I expected was a somewhat lighthearted, upbeat, young adult novel about a young girl who can speak to angels. What I found was a beautiful novel that, although it is quite dark in many spots, tells the story of a young girl who is torn between the powers of good and evil and trying to protect her heart and those she cares about. The characters are charming, and I found Ali and her friends easily relatable. I am quite eager to read the next novella in the series, Dumah’s Demons, and the next full novel, Falling Angels, to see where the saga of Ali takes her. She Speaks to Angels is a novel that I believe will appeal to readers of all ages, and rightly so.

Ali Maney is a typical high school teenager. Nothing special ever happens to her. As a student at Millennium High in Manhattan, sure, a few weird things have happened, a few suicides over the years, but nothing really bizarre. Until one day, in English class, when a hugely popular football player, Tyler, suddenly pitches himself off the roof to his death. Ali and her two best friends, Molly and Jen, are positive that Tyler’s death was not intentional. As they investigate, the bad boy in town starts to notice Ali. Daemon is gorgeous! Ali is shocked, but amazed. What could he want with her? As she ponders this, three new students arrive. Kian, Krysta, and Nathaniel all seem to have something…..different about them. Ali is floored when Kian appears more than interested in her too. What is she to do with two gorgeous guys after her? But not everything is as it seems. As Ali gets closer to each Daemon and Kian, the forces of the supernatural will come closer as well. One has been sent to protect, one has been sent to kill. Can Ali be saved? Or is she in way over her pretty little head?

REVIEW FROM BITTEN BY BOOKS -4 stars

Allison is seventeen, and being a teenager is never easy, but for Ali it is worse. In the past there have been kids that have committed suicide at her school. When a popular, beloved football player allegedly jumps off the roof of the high school, Ali has more questions than answers. Suddenly, three new students start at Ali’s High School, she befriends them, and then she realizes they are troublemakers.
When Ali’s crush, Dameon, starts to pay attention to her, Ali is thrilled, but torn between him and her three new friends. Not knowing whom to trust, Ali and her friends question the supposed suicide, and she learns there is more going on than what it appears.

She Speaks to Angels starts out slowly, but suddenly picks up in a flurry of action. This book is very well-written, and the high school parts of the book are simply perfect. The author captures those moments exactly like the days when we were in high school (though we did not have angels or demons). She captures the “cliques” that are at every school with such finesse, and talent.

Book Stats:
Paperback: 248 pages
Publisher: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (April 12, 2012)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1475116721
ISBN-13: 978-1475116724

Overall Rating: 4 stars

Summary : Ali is a great character, and Ms. Blackwelder does such an amazing job with her very detail-oriented descriptions, from the characters to the background, especially of the angels and demons. I highly recommend this novel, especially if you have a love of angels. It is not an easy task to write a book for Young Adults that also captivates adults, yet Blackwelder does it flawlessly. I am looking forward to her next book to see where she takes the characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read She Speaks to Angels.

04/14 marked as: read

message 1: by Flaxan (new)

Flaxan This sounds like a good story. have to have it. Mers was great too.