Amy's Reviews > The Forgotten Ones

The Forgotten Ones by Steena Holmes

bookshelves: netgalley

Are secrets in books ever not interesting?! If a blurb even alludes to secrets from the past I’m adding it to Mount TBR and from the very first chapter I had a feeling that I would like The Forgotten Ones. Spoiler alert, I was right! This was a super addictive, engaging read from an author who really knows how to draw the reader in, pulling you in closer and closer until you aren’t putting the book down until the truth is revealed.

This is told from dual perspectives, Elle and David. Elle’s chapters are in the present day and David’s are a mix between the fifties and today. Poor Elle, she just wants answers and everyone in her life is SO evasive, it frustrated the hell out of me, I can’t imagine being her! When she finds out her grandfather that she thought was already dead years ago is actually on his deathbed now, she figures she may finally get some answers about her mother’s past. It’s not that easy, even though he wants to speak with her his relationship with the truth is tenuous at best. Or is it? So many questions, no answers and who is reliable? This one most definitely kept me on my toes and had me making guesses only to change my mind within pages, I just love when a book makes me do that!

This is an emotional read and Holmes managed to drag a variety of feelings out of me, I ranged from being angry and frustrated to heartbroken and sad. Anytime an author can make me feel something I’m ecstatic and she surely did that a few times over. Mental health issues play a huge role in the storyline and she handled it with grace and care all written in a beautifully fluid manner. I do think the ending may be polarizing but I loved it and found it to be a breath of fresh air. If you’ve read it and want to chat about this ending please let me know, I’m dying to know what everyone else thinks!

The Forgotten Ones in three words: Evocative, Engaging and Haunting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forgotten Ones.

January 24, 2018 – Shelved