ABookwormWithWine's Reviews > The Forgotten Ones

The Forgotten Ones by Steena Holmes

⭐️⭐️⭐️💫 / 5 rounded up.

First of all, can I just mention how beautiful the cover of this book is?! And let me tell you, it is even prettier in person!

The Forgotten Ones by Steena Holmes is mainly told from 2 perspectives, Elle and a man named David. Elle is working as a nurse when she finds out her grandfather is on his deathbed and wishes to meet her. A grandfather she thought was dead. Cue the crazy! Her grandfather has a big secret to tell about their family, and he wants to tell the story to Elle before he dies. So many secrets are uncovered in this book, and not just from her grandfather.

The story about this family is a heartbreaking one, and while I didn't find myself relating to any of the characters, I was very frustrated for Elle's sake. It takes her a VERY long time to get answers, and even I was annoyed that no one was being straight with her.

The mystery is S.T.R.O.N.G. with The Forgotten Ones, and the big secret had me devouring it exceptionally fast. I don't know if fast-paced is the correct term for this book, but the story sure kept me turning those pages.

I found myself swearing at characters and calling them names, so Holmes definitely knows how to evoke a bunch of emotions! I teared up, wanted to pull my hair out, and laughed all in the 337 pages this book offered.

My biggest issue with this book was the ending. I know it will wow a lot of people, but it felt rather anticlimactic to me and I have no idea why. It apparently just wasn't the kind of big reveal I was hoping for. And I was very irritated at times with many of the characters, but that may have been intentional.

Final Thought: Steena Holmes definitely knows how to write, and obviously has a lot of talent. Just because the ending wasn't quite what I was hoping for, I still highly recommend reading this one. I would say it would be good for someone that likes a good mystery and some intense (slightly creepy) family secrets. I will also definitely be reading more of Holmes' books!

The Forgotten Ones in 3-ish words: Meaningful, Beautifully-Written & Mysterious

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forgotten Ones.

January 24, 2018 – Shelved
page 142
March 25, 2018 – Shelved as: made-me-chuckle
March 25, 2018 – Shelved as: lakeside-review-crew
March 25, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Kendall (new) - added it

Kendall Great review! I enjoyed this one a tad bit more then you but glad you somewhat enjoyed :).

Michelle Awesome review! Looking forward to this one! :)

ABookwormWithWine Kendall wrote: "Great review! I enjoyed this one a tad bit more then you but glad you somewhat enjoyed :)."

Haha thank you Kendall! Glad you liked this one!!! It was a really good book, I just couldn't get behind that ending for some reason.

ABookwormWithWine Michelle wrote: "Awesome review! Looking forward to this one! :)"

Thank you Michelle! I hope you love it, it really is a great book!

Heidi I know what you mean with the ending - I was also a tad disappointed, having had so many theories about it. After a lot of to-ing and fro-ing it seemed to end very abruptly, and I had hoped for a few more answers. I loved the story though!

ABookwormWithWine Heidi wrote: "I know what you mean with the ending - I was also a tad disappointed, having had so many theories about it. After a lot of to-ing and fro-ing it seemed to end very abruptly, and I had hoped for a f..."

Yay Heidi, twins! Haha. Right though? There was so much build up and then I was like huh, that's it? But I agree on the story, it was good! And the buildup to the ending was amazing.