Christine Garcia's Reviews > Furthermore

Furthermore by Tahereh Mafi

I genuinely enjoyed this story. I was initially drawn in to this book because I saw the BEAUTIFUL cover of Whichwood at the store. I told myself that I couldn't buy it just yet but it happened to be up for reading at the library so I thought I'd try it out. Knowing that this was a middle-grade read made it not only fun but relaxing.

This is the story of Alice who lives in a town called Ferenwood. She is milky white from almost her head to her feet which is very different from those around her who are brimming with color, magic, and extraordinary life. Her father disappeared three years prior and Alice is given a chance to find him in the magical land of Furthermore with a (not so quick) friend Oliver. Together they explore a new world, face a lot of personal issues that young children might experience, and possibly even become friends.

While I haven't read Tahereh Mafi's work prior to this, I didn't mind the way it was written - perhaps because I was thinking of it as a middle-grade story that I didn't expect a lot of extreme analogies or crazy wordings or stories. The narrator telling the story was funny and I found I really enjoyed it being read by Bronson Pinchot who was genuine in his acting out certain parts that would have been boring had he not done so. I found myself chuckling at quite a few parts of the book and I didn't know where the story was headed as it continued chapter after chapter. I enjoyed hearing about a world so much different from my own and at the end, one character discusses how the world of Furthermore is very different as a child versus an adult. I took this, whether intended or not, as a place that changes once you, as a younger person, become a more mature, set-in-your-ways type of person which allowed me to remember the vivacity and fantasy-like-dreams I had as a child that I grew out of along the way to adulthood.

The only pieces I wasn't fond of was the ending. Now, what I mean is that the ending was pleasant but somehow became slightly rushed as it neared the end. About 80% in I began worrying this would happen as it didn't feel like much was moving forward and I worried it would come to a screeching halt at the end - which it did. Additionally, Alice's character seemed to dip down from her initial look in life at the beginning. She was almost otherworldly, teeming with life, and full of a variety of emotions and thoughts. But, as the story went on, she dimmed down just a bit which left me wishing I could see more of the fighting soul we first began reading about.

Overall, the ability to bring me back to childhood where I could avidly and wildly dream was due in part to this story. I loved the colorfulness, the characters, and the worlds that were created. It was crazy and strange and I loved all of it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Furthermore.

January 24, 2018 – Started Reading