Anastasia's Reviews > Far From the Madding Crowd

Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy

it was ok
bookshelves: 2-stars, classics, book-club-read

description

Far from the Madding Crowd made me internally yell "take me back to the madding crowd"... So...For starters, I didn't like the setting very much. It's very rural and there is a lot of countryside and sheep and descriptions of nature. And I felt like there was too much of it. Like enough already with birds signing for the whole chapter.

Characters: (as they we're well summarized in book club discussion)
Bathsheba - she's all over the place. She's vain but at the same time a good businesswoman, she's strong and independent until certain Francis Troy shows up....
Gabriel Oak - he was totally friendzoned, yet he did not give up.
Boldwood - man 20 years senior to Bathsheba who doesn't take no for an answer

Then the plot. Ah there's not much to the plot because descriptions nature takes too many pages... Basically plot focuses on Bathsheba and who she'll marry because apparently she's the only female in 50 km radius.

2 stars because what I did like was the humor and maybe some ironic undertone. How people far from madding crowd live, how all the characters had very fascinating fun names: Katniss Everdeen Bathsheba Everdene, Boldwood, Angel Gabriel Oak, Francis Trojan Horse Troy, Fanny Hill Robin...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Far From the Madding Crowd.

Started Reading
January 24, 2018 – Shelved
January 24, 2018 – Shelved as: 2-stars
January 24, 2018 – Shelved as: classics
January 24, 2018 – Shelved as: book-club-read
January 24, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Andrea I enjoyed the book much more, but I totally LOVE your review. XD

Anastasia :D yeah I had big issues with this :D I've read some Hardy's poetry today so I do like that much more.

message 3: by Andrea (last edited Jan 24, 2018 01:32PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Andrea I'm glad for that! I think that mr. Hardy was a talented writer, anyway after your review I noticed that maybe it's true that there are too much "descriptions of nature". Maybe I didn't noticed this because I recently read The Lord of the Rings, where I think there is half book of... description of nature and geography. :D
But even if in the Hardy's book there is this flaw, I think it's compensated by the lyricism of the same descriptions, among other things. ;)
For example, I found the description of the storm beautiful.

Anastasia I think some books need a specific time and place for you to like them :) Like maybe I would have enjoyed this more if I would have read it in summer vacation. I don't remember The Lord of the Rings that well anymore but movies can be summarized to "walking...strolling...hiking...climbing...more walking...crawling...more hiking..." It was endless :D Descriptions were good.

Andrea This is an interesting point, I think you're right.
So it make sense to (for example) give another chance to a book (or other art) which seemed poor at first