PDXReader's Reviews > We

We by Yevgeny Zamyatin

Oct 24, 2011

Read from October 24 to 28, 2011

Anyone with an interest in dystopian literature MUST read this book. It's absolutely amazing. I found it fascinating not only for the chilling future that Zamyatin paints, but for his brilliant writing style as well.

The novel is epistolary, relayed through the diary entries of the protagonist as he gradually moves from obedient drone to someone who begins to question the structure of the society around him. The narrative is sometimes confusing and at times the main character appears to be descending into madness, but this only adds to the sense that you're reading someone's journal and not a novel. The aspects of society the hero narrates so matter-of-factly filled me with horror as I read them. This is one book that I'll remember for a long time to come.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We.

message 1: by Liz (new)

Liz I have been wanting to read this one. Great to hear how much you liked it!

Cindy Excellent! I almost never re-read, but I'm already looking forward to re-reading this one. :)

message 3: by Marieke (new) - added it

Marieke i can't wait to read this.

message 4: by Ken (new)

Ken I just bought it for my class but have never read it myself. Maybe I'll swipe it at some point. Not at this point, but at some point.

message 5: by Marieke (new) - added it

Marieke Newengland wrote: "I just bought it for my class but have never read it myself. Maybe I'll swipe it at some point. Not at this point, but at some point."

how about at that point. ?

message 6: by Ken (new)

Ken Let me think about that... OK, done. At THAT point (Point Judith, I think it's called).