Laura's Reviews > Wishtree

Wishtree by Katherine Applegate

bookshelves: lib-has-audio, library, library-request, buddy-reads, 2018

This is a wonderful book with an inclusive and timely message. Artists have been taking their broken hearts and turning them into art for over a year now, and I suspect this book, published in 2017, was such a project.

Beautifully written and illustrated, the main character is an old, glorious red oak tree that is known in the neighborhood as a wishing tree. Each May Day, people hang their wishes there and hope they will come true. This wishtree watches over the neighborhood, and when a new family moves in that not everyone accepts, Red and her friends find a way to band together and help.

Light shines brightest in the darkest hours. We've seen real grassroots change bubbling up as people become more aware of injustice. This book, for me, encapsulates that, and I think it is a meaningful book to share with young people everywhere. I read this with a friend who is about the same age as I am and we both loved it. I encourage you to read it. ❤️

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wishtree.

January 24, 2018 – Shelved
February 1, 2018 – Started Reading
February 1, 2018 – Shelved as: buddy-reads
February 2, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018
February 2, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Beth Knight I’m the friend Laura read this with and her review is spot on! Everyone should read this.

Laura 💗 Thanks Beth. What a great book! Always fun to read with you.

Beth Knight ❤️I love reading with you!