❂ Endless's Reviews > Counterpunch

Counterpunch by Aleksandr Voinov

Oct 24, 2011

bookshelves: erotic-m-m

This is my 3rd book by Aleksandr Voinov and by now I think, I've gotten used to his gritty way of writing. Writing something different, having his own unique spin on a tale is what makes this boxer's story charming. That's one of things that attracted me to the story and held my attention all the way through to the end. I like the unpredictable twists and turns in the plot that keeps one guessing. Even some of the character traits are unexpected and non-stereotypical!

I like how this is completely focused on Brooklyn and the book is entirely from his pov. This way the author keeps us intrigued about Nathaniel and his intentions. The boxing world is vividly exemplified complete with its jargon but, the reader's never left in the dark about what is what. I absolutely love it when a book reads like a movie running in my head. That's just testament to how well written and developed this book really is. I loved how i could see London and those British mannerisms and i could see and feel the heat of the Caribbean...Evocative!

There is one brutal scene in there but it's like the author is almost trying to protect his readers from seeing it in vivid detail...it's like he's saying, "you know, this is a brutal world with actions and consequences and punishments - and they happen!". But, care is taken to not shock or horrify the readers for the heck of it, which I appreciated a lot.

I like how the ending is packed with surprises...but there are also some unanswered questions...or maybe i need to read the ending again to get the answer to my question (view spoiler)

Ummm...did i mention this book is hot? Some of the scenes are sizzling like (view spoiler).

(view spoiler)

This is my niggler of all time - the fact that this level of slavery is depicted in our current timeline is unsettling for me. That's perhaps my only issue with this book...

The blurb tells us that Brooklyn was a cop who turned into a slave due to circumstances. But during the course of the book the author doesn't hold that fact in your face. In fact the first time it's even mentioned is when we are like half way through the book. These little nuances just make it unique. Nice!

Recommended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Counterpunch.

October 24, 2011 – Shelved
November 17, 2011 –
page 54
31.21% "Interesting turn of events...so far so good...crossing my fingers and hoping this is not as brutal as "Anchored"..."
Started Reading
November 18, 2011 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Heather C (new) - added it

Heather C So it's good? I want to read this

❂ Endless Oh yes! I'm just about wrapping up my review of it.

message 3: by ❂ Endless (last edited Nov 18, 2011 01:01PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

❂ Endless Go ahead and read it HC...I think it'll take me a few books to get the hang of what you like...

Another thing that's for you - this book has quite a bit of sex but I think you'll find that not a lot of it is meaningless. :-)

message 4: by Heather C (new) - added it

Heather C Is it random like in Scorpion...with anyone and everyone?

❂ Endless No, it's not random. I think Aleks heard you before you even read and wrote your review for Scorpion! :-P Lol! ;-P

DarienMoya I agree, it doesn't focus on the I was a cop, I use to be one of the good guys. Its main focus is Brooklyn now, the angry and very sexy Brook. That everyone wants to get up close and personal with

message 7: by Heather C (new) - added it

Heather C Lol. That's a good sign then

message 8: by ❂ Endless (last edited Nov 18, 2011 01:40PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

❂ Endless Yes it is! *grins* Now get to it HC... Or wait, should i even pester you about it...hmmm... ;-P lol!

message 9: by Heather C (new) - added it

Heather C Lol. You are welcome to try. I was actually supposed to read this last week after Scorpion but it took me too long to finish it

❂ Endless Well, I can pester you 'cos i liked the book. But, just in one-in-a-million chance that you don't like it, I'm the one who ends up with a sad smiley face. :-P

message 11: by Heather C (new) - added it

Heather C No no reason for that! I was supposed to read it with my friend but I flaked out. So you aren't the only one harassing me.

❂ Endless "...don''t like it" - as in don't like the book! Lol! Well then, i'm guessing you'll get to it once you finish that vampire one?

I'm just stoked to see what you think about this one..!

message 13: by Heather C (new) - added it

Heather C Lol. Slowly progressing on vamp book

message 14: by Lauraadriana (last edited Nov 18, 2011 03:03PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lauraadriana Hey Endless...This one is on the TBR, but it might be a while I have a bad case of reading ADHD this week, and have like four going right now...Maybe after Beloved Son...Nice Review!

❂ Endless Thanks! "...bad case of reading ADHD this week" - Tell me about it! But i think it's more to do with catching up with all of the recent fab releases as well! ;D

Lauraadriana Endless wrote: "Thanks! "...bad case of reading ADHD this week" - Tell me about it! But i think it's more to do with catching up with all of the recent fab releases as well! ;D"

Yeah all of a sudden all I want to read is super sweet and super corny, so yeah a bit of a gear shift.

Elizabetta I love your comment about 'when a book reads like a movie running'. This was a very easy book to read because of that -- the imagery and even Brook's inner dialogue so well portrayed. I mulled over the 'when' this takes place too though I was thinking maybe 30-50 years in the future. If you think of N. Korea it may not be too difficult to believe that such a society could exist in today's world... Anyway, nice review.

❂ Endless Thanks Elizabetta. :)
Ummm there is a small detail in the book that suggested that the timeline was exactly the same as now - I don't exactly remember what it was but it's there. And yeah, N.Korea's a (I don't want to say "good") apt example, I guess...

Elizabetta hmmmm, I guess I missed that...

There were a couple mentions of an 'Apple computer' that made me think present day but then it's easy to believe that MACs could be around 50 years from now.