Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader's Reviews > The Madonna of the Mountains

The Madonna of the Mountains by Elise Valmorbida

bookshelves: arcs, kindle-version, 2018-reads

4 steadfast stars to The Madonna of the Mountains ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

The Madonna of the Mountains is an epic story of one woman’s life. Maria Vittoria is born in the mountains of Italy. The story follows her early life in the mountains, her marriage, and the births of her four children. During this time the National Fascist Party and Mussolini rule Italy, and Maria’s family struggles to survive the harsh war times.

During those tumultuous times, Maria has no idea whom to trust. She is surrounded by snoopy neighbors, Nazis, and a Fascist cousin, and her only goal is to keep her family safe.

Eventually, Maria’s children grow and spread their wings, and she is still fighting to preserve her family.

Maria very much epitomizes the quintessential selfless mother who puts her family first ahead of everything else. She is a complex character and one I admired and respected.

There were many nuances to the author’s writing, small things that added up to make a wonderful whole. For instance, the Madonna speaking to the devout Maria, guiding her, and beautiful imagery and depictions of the area where Maria lives.

Thank you to Elise Valmorbida, Spiegel & Grau/Random House, and Netgalley for the complimentary copy. The Madonna of the Mountains will be released on June 12, 2018.

My reviews can also be found on my blog: www.jennifertarheelreader.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Madonna of the Mountains.

January 23, 2018 – Shelved
June 3, 2018 – Started Reading
June 3, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
June 3, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018-reads
June 10, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)

message 1: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Fabulous review, Jennifer!

message 2: by Maureen (new)

Maureen You’re reading some great books Jennifer, terrific review 😊

message 3: by Nazanin (new)

Nazanin Great review, Jennifer! Glad it was a good read! xoxo

message 4: by KAS (new)

KAS Wonderful review, Jennifer, for what sounds like a beautiful story ;) 💝

Babydimps (Suzy) Awesome review Jennifer! 😊

Mackenzie - PhDiva Books Wonderful review, Jennifer!! What a fantastic book!

message 7: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Splendid review, Jennifer!! I hope to get to this book soon!

Angela M Loved Maria and this story as you did , Jennifer . Her selflessness when it came to her children reminded me of my mother. Great review! Glad you enjoyed it too.

message 9: by Susanne (new)

Susanne  Strong Great review Jennifer!

message 10: by Diane (new)

Diane Great review, Jennifer!

Norma * Traveling Sister Nice review, Jennifer!

message 12: by Jaline (new)

Jaline Lovely review, Jennifer!

message 13: by Ana O (new)

Ana O Super review!

Cheri Loved this story, and especially Maria, such a lovely and complex character - and that setting! Your lovely review is such a tribute to this story, Jennifer!

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Lovely review, Jennifer! I will be reading this book next. 💕

message 16: by Svetlana (new)

Svetlana wonderful review Jennifer 🙂🧡

message 17: by Linda (new)

Linda Loved this review, Jennifer! Looks like a book I would enjoy

message 18: by William (new)

William Thank you for the review!

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ Wonderful review, sweetheart! Glad you enjoyed it <3 x

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Very nice review, Jennifer!

Brenda - Traveling Sister Excellent review, Jennifer!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Meredith wrote: "Fabulous review, Jennifer!"

Thank you, Meredith!

Maureen wrote: "You’re reading some great books Jennifer, terrific review 😊"

Thanks, Maureen! I have been so lucky! Xo

Nazanin wrote: "Great review, Jennifer! Glad it was a good read! xoxo"

Thanks so much, Nazanin! Me too! 💗

KAS wrote: "Wonderful review, Jennifer, for what sounds like a beautiful story ;) 💝"

Thank you, KAS! It was memorable! Xo

Babydimps (Suzy) wrote: "Awesome review Jennifer! 😊"

Thank you, Suzy!

Mackenzie - Traveling Sister wrote: "Wonderful review, Jennifer!! What a fantastic book!"

Thanks, Mack! It was lovely!

Julie wrote: "Splendid review, Jennifer!! I hope to get to this book soon!"

Thanks, Julie! I look forward to your thoughts!

Angela M wrote: "Loved Maria and this story as you did , Jennifer . Her selflessness when it came to her children reminded me of my mother. Great review! Glad you enjoyed it too."

Thanks, Angela! I think it was thanks to you that I found this one. Love that it connected you to your mother.

Susanne wrote: "Great review Jennifer!"

Thanks, Suze!

Diane wrote: "Great review, Jennifer!"

Thanks, Diane!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Norma * Traveling Sister wrote: "Nice review, Jennifer!"

Thanks, Norma!

Jaline wrote: "Lovely review, Jennifer!"

Thanks, Jaline!

Ana wrote: "Super review!"

Thank you, Ana!

Cheri wrote: "Loved this story, and especially Maria, such a lovely and complex character - and that setting! Your lovely review is such a tribute to this story, Jennifer!"

Thanks, Cheri! I appreciate that! Maria is a character I will never forget!

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* wrote: "Lovely review, Jennifer! I will be reading this book next. 💕"

Thanks so much, Mary Beth! I’ll be looking for your review! 💜

Svetlana wrote: "wonderful review Jennifer 🙂🧡"

Thanks, Svetlana! 💕

Linda wrote: "Loved this review, Jennifer! Looks like a book I would enjoy"

Thanks, Linda! I hope you get a chance to read it, and I look forward to your review!

William wrote: "Thank you for the review!"

Thanks, William!

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ wrote: "Wonderful review, sweetheart! Glad you enjoyed it <3 x"

Thanks so much, Alex! Xo

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister wrote: "Very nice review, Jennifer!"

Thanks, Kris!

Brenda - Traveling Sister wrote: "Excellent review, Jennifer!"

Thanks, Brenda!

message 24: by JanB (new)

JanB Terrific review Jennifer, I've seen so many great reviews of this book. It's in my tbr and I do hope to get to it this summer!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Thanks, Jan! I hope you are able to read it soon, too! I’ll be interested in your thoughts on it!

message 26: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Wonderful review, Jennifer.

message 27: by Fergus (new) - added it

Fergus Fantastic! This one I'll get for myself, Jennifer!