Minerva Spencer's Reviews > Wrapped in the Stars

Wrapped in the Stars by Elena Mikalsen

bookshelves: favorites

I loved this book--LOVED it!

I began this story thinking it was a conventional time travel story. Boy was I in for a surprise. Wrapped in the Stars is so much more than a time travel novel it's hard to know where to start. So I'll begin with the characters themselves.

Honestly, it's like the author was channeling the two women in this book. The story is told in alternating times--Maya's (present) and Rebecca's (early 1900s).

Right from the first chapter I was hooked. I would get so wrapped up in the story I was reading (either Maya's or Rebecca's) that I absolutely hated it when a chapter ended. But by the time I'd read a paragraph into the next chapter, I'd be hooked all over again. . . . And then pissed when THAT chapter ended. This book grabbed me over and over again.

Mikalsen masterfully weaves together at least a half-dozen threads to create a rich, living tapestry: a glimpse into the history of women in medicine, a look at the grassroots organization of the Russian Revolution, early Twentieth Century European social history, parallel love stories, and a FASCINATING mystery/adventure in dual times.

I have this amazingly clear picture of Bern in the early 20th century stuck inside my head! The excitement of the time: a revolution brewing, a war coming, advances in medicine, technology, and revolutionary shifts in gender roles/relations. But even with such a vibrant backdrop, the characters still stand out and do not become lost.

It would be hard for me to say who is the heroine in this story--Maya or Rebecca. So I'm going to say they both are. They are two distinct characters and there is no mistaking their voices. Mikalsen does an excellent job of respecting history and depicts a character--Rebecca-- who is a product of her time even as she rebels against it. Which means she actually ends up sounding and behaving like a woman from 1914, rather than a woman from 2018 dressed in clothing from the period.

And Maya? Well, she is a woman who alternately appears to be coming apart at the seams but also strong, driven, curious, and vulnerable. In other words, she is REAL.

And then there are the secondary characters, like Sarah, who Mikalsen makes you care for with only a few subtle, but powerful, snippets of her life.

Clearly I was floored by this book. Awesome debut and I hope for more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wrapped in the Stars.