Michael's Reviews > In Order to Live: A North Korean Girl's Journey to Freedom

In Order to Live by Yeonmi Park

bookshelves: non-fiction

This was a good choice to read after Escape from Camp 14 and learning about the experiences of life in the camps of North Korea, and the eventual escape. This book gives you the perspective of life outside the camps and how much things differ when escaping as a woman and a girl. This was pretty eye opening, and just how one family can start off as poor, find some money and become in a better state of well-being (better, not great), then have it reverse again very quickly due to how North Korea rules over its people. One mistake (big or small) is all it takes to have your fortune and luck turned on its head.

Her experience escaping is very traumatic and hard for her and her mother. I won't go in to details, but they can at times be hard to read about due the harshness of incidents. Once in South Korea instead of accepting a life of struggle to adapt, Yeonmi works hard to achieve what others thinks she can't. I always hate rating these books, but I will say this is a must read. I couldn't put this book down and finished it the same day.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Order to Live.

January 22, 2018 – Shelved