Sarah's Reviews > One Dance with a Duke

One Dance with a Duke by Tessa Dare

Oct 23, 2011

bookshelves: historical-romance
Read from October 23 to 24, 2011

Pretty good historical romance, I suppose. I'm not entirely well-versed in the nuances of the genre--one of my first exposures to it was Whitney, My Love which I abhorred--but I liked this one. The hero and heroine both retained the key parts of themselves, changed and developed as characters. Sometimes, I found myself getting irritated at Amelia who was too much of a martyr but I understood why. Spencer, the Duke of Morland (or alternatively, the Duke of Midnight), was great--though he bothered me sometimes too. I've never met men so insensitive as I find in romance books but maybe that's just part of the alpha male phenomenon. Surprisingly, I didn't find Jack too despicable--but that might be because I could identify with him (just a tiny bit; I'm not exactly a careless gambler). I liked the supporting characters well-enough with the exception of Bellamy, who seemed too over the top with his accusations and possessive attitude towards Lily. The prose is compulsively readable (though sometimes a bit overwrought)and the romance felt genuine. This is a nice read to while away the hours with, perfect for a lazy summer afternoon--as opposed to a harried school night, since it will steal your hours.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Dance with a Duke.

10/23/2011 page 179
47.0% "Okay, so I have a scholarship application and a newspaper article due but I couldn't resist. I am, on all counts, too easily distracted by illusions of romance and infatuation and love. Oh, but how addictive it all is."
10/24/2011 page 208
68.0% "I hope the heroine sees sense soon. I've got a good chunk of the book left; I can already see this conflict being overdrawn."
10/24/2011 page 234
76.0% "A nice change of pace. Man, I'm confused. The heroine is supposed to be plump (which is supposed to have been abhorrent to her suitors). How odd, then, since the Regency was supposed to be a time when fuller figures were appreciated. I suppose she looked like Dolley Madison, then?"
10/24/2011 page 234
76.0% "Still on the same page; it's just bothering me because my e-book edition has 308 pages, not 306. Maybe I should add 2 pages to my page count? Meh, still feels dishonest. I'll keep it (this has been a useless update)."