Sara's Reviews > The Burning Chambers

The Burning Chambers by Kate Mosse

liked it
bookshelves: arc, fiction, historical-fiction

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Kate Mosse has returned to what she does best, the French Languedoc period, mixed with a dash of mystery, twists and violence.

As usual it’s Mosse’s apparent passion for this period of history that shines through here, with vivid descriptions of an extremely volatile time in French history. The story is highly atmospheric, which is only heightened by the wonderful detailed depictions of everyday life during a turbulent time. The underlying feeling of paranoia, mistrust and the threat of being called out as a blasphemer or nonbeliever is ever present and constantly played upon to great effect.

I admit, I did miss the mixture of past and present characters here, which has become so synonymous with Mosse’s storytelling, however, her ability to produce characters that are instantly relatable, down to earth and likeable still holds true. I particularly enjoyed the delicate way the seperate stories of Minou and Piet converged in a subtle way to a great climactic ending. However, I was less fond of this story than Mosse’s previous novels and I do think this mainly hinges on the romantic elements which sometimes descended too much into sloppy story telling and infatuation.

Great historical setting, which would have been greatly enhanced by downplaying the romantic elements.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Burning Chambers.

Finished Reading