Susanne Strong's Reviews > The Tattooist of Auschwitz

The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather   Morris

bookshelves: netgalley, traveling-sister-read, favorites, must-read

4 Stars

Lale Sokolov was taken to Auschwitz via cattle car. While being transported, he made a decision to survive. Almost immediately, Lale was made the “Tatowierer” - the Tattooist of Auschwitz - he tattooed the numbers on prisoners that came into both Auschwitz and Birkenau and he saw the haunted looks on everyone’s faces. He learned to be quick, efficient, and look down. One woman haunted him and he memorized her number and he waited.

For Lale, being the Tatowierer had its perks. He got his own room, was given increased food rations (which he shared with his friends) and he had more freedom than most. Yet he was also known as a Nazi collaborator. Lale however, wanted to do more - he wanted to help people. He made began making trades - obtaining money and jewelry from camp workers in exchange for food and medicine, which were smuggled in from the outside world. Lale made dangerous, reckless decisions. Putting himself and others in serious jeopardy. One day, Lale met her. The woman whose eyes haunted him, whose number he memorized: Gita. They embarked on a forbidden romance. And he took more risks - for her.

“The Tattooist of Auschwitz” is harrowing novel. It is chilling at times, yet it has heart. Lale was beloved. He was also incredibly brave and strong - in more ways than one. “The Tattooist of Auschwitz” is based on a true story. Though it is a novel about life in the concentration camps during WWII, it is the love story Lale and Gita and one man’s willingness to survive when such a thing seems impossible.

This was a Traveling Sister Read. It included: Brenda, Norma, Lindsay, Diane, Jennifer, Marialyce, Mary Beth and Holly.

For Full Traveling Sister Group Reviews, please see Brenda and Norma’s Fantastic Blog: https://twogirlslostinacouleereading....

Thank you to NetGalley, Bonnier Publishing Australia, Echo and Heather Morris for an ARC of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

Published on NetGalley, Goodreads, and Twitter on 1.28.18.
*Will be published on Amazon on 2.1.18.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tattooist of Auschwitz.

January 22, 2018 – Started Reading
January 22, 2018 – Shelved
January 22, 2018 – Shelved as: netgalley
January 22, 2018 – Shelved as: traveling-sister-read
January 22, 2018 – Finished Reading
January 24, 2018 – Shelved as: favorites
January 24, 2018 – Shelved as: must-read

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)

message 1: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin Clemence Great review, Susanne. Sounds like a powerful read.

Miriam Smith Beautiful review Susanne, I 'loved' it too! X

Susanne  Strong Erin wrote: "Great review, Susanne. Sounds like a powerful read."

Thank you so much Erin! It sure was!

Susanne  Strong Miriam wrote: "Beautiful review Susanne, I 'loved' it too! X"

Thanks Miriam. So glad you liked it as well!

Cheri Lovely review, Susanne, a most incredible place to fall in love, and yet it offered something to hold onto.

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Great review Susanne! Really loved this one too. Loved discussing this one with you.

message 7: by Julie (new)

Julie Excellent review, Susanne!!

message 8: by Kendall (new)

Kendall Wonderful review Susanne! Looks like it was a hit 😊

Lindsay - Traveling Sister What a perfect review of this very touching book. So glad we read this together Suze! I’ll never forget Lale.

Susanne  Strong Cheri wrote: "Lovely review, Susanne, a most incredible place to fall in love, and yet it offered something to hold onto."

It sure did Cheri! Such an amazing read. So glad you loved it too!

Susanne  Strong Mary wrote: "Great review Susanne! Really loved this one too. Loved discussing this one with you."

I am so glad we read this together Mary Beth! And I am so glad that you enjoyed the story and characters and loved Lale as well! :)

Susanne  Strong Julie wrote: "Excellent review, Susanne!!"

Thanks Julie!

Susanne  Strong Lindsay wrote: "What a perfect review of this very touching book. So glad we read this together Suze! I’ll never forget Lale."

It is you that made me download this incredible novel Ms. Lindsay! I am so grateful that I read it and loved experiencing this with you! Thank you thank you. :)

message 14: by Fran (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fran Superb review, Susanne!

Susanne  Strong Fran wrote: "Superb review, Susanne!"

Thank you so much Fran! So glad you loved it too!

message 16: by Linda (new)

Linda I had no idea it was based on a true story, Susanne. This book appears to be a different approach to the Holocaust. Reading your review has increased my interest in this book! I have so many to read on this painful time in our world's history, but I'm going to bump this one up. Excellent review!! 💕

message 17: by JanB (new)

JanB Susanne, beautiful review! I love how he "decided" to survive....it is a decision sometimes isn't it? So heartbreaking. I hope to get to this one soon.

Susanne  Strong Linda wrote: "I had no idea it was based on a true story, Susanne. This book appears to be a different approach to the Holocaust. Reading your review has increased my interest in this book! I have so many to rea..."

It was an incredible read Linda and Lale's story is very inspiring. Though it was harrowing at times, it was a story of hope and survival and yes, based on a true story - which was amazing. I would so love your take on it. I'll be watching for your review my friend!

Susanne  Strong JanB wrote: "Susanne, beautiful review! I love how he "decided" to survive....it is a decision sometimes isn't it? So heartbreaking. I hope to get to this one soon."

Thank you Ms. Jan! And yes.. it was a choice and as I know you know, everyone has a choice to make in this life. Lale made his - through the most unimaginable of situations. His story in an amazing one. I hope you get to it soon! I think you would like it also. :)

Marialyce Lovely review, Susanne. I wished I had liked this book more than I did. I am definitely an outlier with this one.

Susanne  Strong Marialyce wrote: "Lovely review, Susanne. I wished I had liked this book more than I did. I am definitely an outlier with this one."

It happens Marialcye! On to the next I say! :)

Tammy Fantastic review! It sounds incredible, I can’t wait to read it.

Elyse Walters Thanks and THANKS! xoxo

Susanne  Strong Tammy wrote: "Fantastic review! It sounds incredible, I can’t wait to read it."

Thanks Tammy! I am excited for you to read this one.. So heartfelt!

Susanne  Strong Elyse wrote: "Thanks and THANKS! xoxo"

Thanks Ms. Elyse! Hugs to you. :)

message 26: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Great review!!

Sabrina Kirby This sounds amazing....i want it. =)

message 28: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Wonderful review, Susanne.