Bradley's Reviews > Head On

Head On by John Scalzi

bookshelves: 2018-shelf, sci-fi
Read 2 times. Last read April 5, 2018 to April 6, 2018.

This is a super easy read that hits all the fun spots for all you folks who're into Sports, Mysteries, and great concept SF filled with robots designed for tele-reality and virtual reality.

I'm one of those readers who are very partial to the SF stuff and I like a good mystery, too, so I had a great time on that alone. But here's the funny part: the sports aspect is unique as hell and full of some great twists. :) Such as getting your head pulled off during the play to be used as a football. As part of the game. :)

Those people from the previous book, the folks who're stuck in their bodies and can only get out by using a waldo-robot or by those biological peeps who are wired for it are now pretty much the only game in town when it comes to full contact sports. It's all robots, of course, and transferred consciousnesses, and a wild story that's the equal of any modern mystery in that OTHER genre. :)

In a lot of ways, I think this sequel featuring our favorite FBI Lock-In is superior to the first. :)

I'm totally glad to have read it. It's just plain good and fun. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Head On.

Finished Reading
January 22, 2018 – Shelved
January 22, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
April 5, 2018 – Started Reading
April 6, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018-shelf
April 6, 2018 – Shelved as: sci-fi
April 6, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Silvana (new)

Silvana Would you say this is better than the first book? I am still thinking whether to continue or not.

Bradley Maybe it's a whole thing surrounding managed expectations, but yeah, I liked this one better than the first. It's a super easy read, too. It flows nice. It probably would have been better if I loved sports stories more, though, even if it's all about the business of sports rather than the sport itself. :)

message 3: by Silvana (new)

Silvana cool, will check it out!

Veronique Interesting. I preferred the first one although I really enjoyed this one too. Maybe because the first one dealt with an even nastier aspect? Anyway, this one was great, and as you say, such an easy and entertaining read :O)

Bradley Maybe for me, it's just the fact that I'm now into the characters and the world, so I could enjoy getting on with the plot a bit easier. :)