Kristine GPI Bookblog's Reviews > Combust

Combust by K. Bromberg

bookshelves: 2018, arc-read, alpha-male, contemporary-romance, glass-paper-ink-bookblog-review, gold-lipstick-read
Read 2 times. Last read January 22, 2018 to January 31, 2018.

As a blogger and reviewer I've always found it easiest to sit down in front of my laptop as soon as I've finished a book, put pen to paper so to speak, and allow every feeling and emotion pour out as I pound the keys, hoping for something that will make sense of the thoughts swirling around my head. As I sat down at my trusty keyboard I expected the same ease that I usually find after finishing one of Bromberg's books, sure I may stumble over my words as I try to contain my emotions, but as I get the essence of my emotional reaction on screen I can weave together my words into something that should make sense. This time however I started typing...tap tap tap... then I hit delete...delete ...delete... this went on and on, until I pushed aside my laptop and settled back down with Grady and Dylan one more time.

Grady Malone knows all to well that bad things can happen at work, he's been there, done that, and got the physical and psychological scars to prove it. Working as a Fire Fighter sure sounds glamourous and heroic, but there's a side that only those who PROTECT and SERVE will truly every understand. With a family built on that very legacy, the Malone boys all truly know that each work day could be their last.

There’s definitely something beneath the sexiness of Grady Malone. Question is, do I want to get invested enough to find out what?

Dylan McCoy thought she had things mostly figured out, a career she's exceptional at, a boyfriend she loves, a life so far removed from the tension of her childhood, she knows with certainty that her partner will come home from work each day safe and unscathed, what she didn't expect though, was the heartache of finding him in bed with another woman.

Stop staring at me like I’m going to f*cking break. I’ve already broken, Dylan.

The dichotomy of these two characters couldn't have been more obvious, one who wants a family to call her own versus one who refuses to make a real emotional connection, but what truly stood out for me was how similar these two were, both strongly grounded in a sense of family, both who despite their need to guard their hearts love easily and unreservedly, two people whose souls sought each other out, seeing the fear and hurt behind the fast smiles and snappy comebacks and knew instinctively that this could be real.

In Combust as the name would suggest there's scorching heat, electric chemistry and everything you would expect from Bromberg, but as always what I truly love about this author is her ability to convey emotion so freely and openly. It's her inherent desire to give her readers an experience rather then just an experience. It's willingly checking your heart at the door as you step into her world despite not knowing how or what condition it will be returned to you in. It's sitting here, after scrapping seven versions of this review, and still not being sure how to adequately and articulately describe the range of emotions you're still feeling over two fictional characters. It's knowing that your life is richer from reading Bromberg's words.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Combust.

2018 – Started Reading
2018 – Finished Reading
January 22, 2018 – Started Reading
January 22, 2018 – Shelved
January 22, 2018 –
35.0% "HOLY MOLY BATMAN!!

I’m in heaven right now... Combust is giving me life"
January 31, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018