Tyson's Reviews > No Country for Old Men

No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy

199033
May 21, 2008

Read in February, 2008

The film is a close adaptation of the book. The intention or meaning of the story is clearer in the book, however.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Country for Old Men.

Emily agreed. there is so much to sheriff bell.. he is really important to the meaning/intention and i think the film missed that, a little..

Tyson yeah, I guess it's difficult to adapt. Bell's thoughts had to be turned into conversations with other characters in the film, and those conversations had to fit with the visual narrative. You're right, I think they neglected his importance a little in the movie. I remember people in the theatre thinking the ending was ultra random.. with Bell talking about his dream (i loved it though). They could have set the audience up for that a little more..

Have you read The Road? ONe of my favorite books. They're filming the movie now. I'm afraid of how it'll turn out..

Emily I loved the ending of the film as well, but I will admit that I didn't really get it (completely) until I read the book. I liked it ten times more when I was reading it.. same with his thoughts, which in the film were conversations.

I also think that Chigurh displayed more depth in the book.. I loved the scene between him and Carla Jean in the film; in the book (again) I liked it even more.. his explanations of life like, "Your life is made out of the days it's made out of. Nothin else." etc.etc.

I'm going to pick up The Road as soon as possible.

Tyson When I saw No Country I'd recently read The Road. Because the books share similar themes, I immediately grasped the meaning of Bell's dream when he described it at the end of the film - which made the ending perfect for me. Had I not recently read that book, I don't think I would have understood.

I should warn that most people I know who've read The Road we're either indifferent or hated it. The writing style and the story is different from No Country (although there's a similar theme). I'm curious to see what you think.