Laiba's Reviews > The Murderer's Ape

The Murderer's Ape by Jakob Wegelius

liked it

The story begins with Sally Jones, the ape noting down her story in order to have a clear conscience. We get to know that Sally Jones works as an engineer on a boat and how her captain was charged guilty of murder and that's where that story line completely takes the backseat and instead the story becomes more about the journey of the ape from Lisbon to India and how she survives once her captain is arrested. Only towards the end after a good 500 pages does the story line of the murder takes the front seat again.
The writing is effortless, it did keep me engrossed but after 200 pages I started getting bored because the main plot was lost and except for the writing there was nothing to make me keep reading. I'll be honest, I skipped a 100 pages and well it didn't really matter because the story had not moved. I really think if the author had reduced the number of pages, and kept the travel journey of Sally Jones short it would have been much better.
The author has done an impeccable job in setting the scenes and I know a lot of people enjoyed this book as it is, but this is just my opinion of it. The illustrations in the book are vivid and beautiful. Pick this book up with the thought process that you are going to read about an ape's journey and you might actually enjoy it.

My Verdict- 3/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Murderer's Ape.

January 21, 2018 – Shelved