Carmen's Reviews > Cats in Art

Cats in Art by Desmond Morris
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
25353295
I don't know what to tell you. It's a book about cats in art.


5,000 B.C. Libya


Tomb of May 1500 B.C.


1400 B.C.


Pompeii 2nd century B.C.


1503
I am here, do not forget me.


13th Century


13th Century


1470-1480


1865
Freya


Woman with a Cat
Francesco d'Ubertino
1525


Woman with a Kitten
early 16th century
Ambrosius Benson


Cleophea Holzhalb
Hans Asper
1538


Two Children Teasing a Cat
1590
Annibale Carracci


Henry Wriothesley, 3rd Earl of Southampton
1603
John de Critz the Elder
Cat: Trixie


Youths Playing With The Cat
Abraham Bloemaert
1620-1625


Courtesan or Young Woman Playing with a Cat
1630-1635
Jan van Bijlert


Two Children with a Cat
Judith Leyster
1629


An Old Man with Cat
1740
Giacomo Ceruti


Dangerous Strokes
Francois Boucher
1730

White Angora Cat Stalking a Bird
1761
Jean-Jacques Bachelier


The Angora Cat
Jean-Honore Fragonard
1783 - 1785


The Cat's Lunch
Marguerite Gerard
1800


A Cat with Her Three Kittens
Henriette Ronner-Knip
1893


Playing with Jewels
Horatio Henry Couldery
1832-1893


Charles Burton Barber
Coaxing is Better Than Teasing
1883


Woman with a Cat, Portrait of Madame Manet
1882-1883
Edouard Manet


Claude Monet
Sleeping Cat
1896


Auguste Renoir
Mademoiselle Julie Manet with Cat
1887


Mimi and Her Cat
Paul Gauguin
1890


Marguerite with a Black Cat
1910
Henri Matisse


Cats on a Red Cloth
Franz Marc
1909-1910


Franz Marc
Two Cats, Blue and Yellow
1912


Paul Klee
Cat and Bird
1928


Pablo Picasso
1939


Balthus
The King of Cats
1935


Balthus
Therese Dreaming
1938


Psyche
Leonor Fini
1975


Leonor Fini
Sunday Afternoon
1980
41 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cats in Art.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

January 21, 2018 – Started Reading
January 21, 2018 – Shelved
January 21, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Donna (new)

Donna Thanks for including all these photos from the book, Carmen! They were fun to look at, though some of the cats didn’t look like they were having a good time. :)


Carmen Donna wrote: "Thanks for including all these photos from the book, Carmen! They were fun to look at, though some of the cats didn’t look like they were having a good time. :)"

I know. People were really mean to cats. Luckily, things have gotten better than when they held massive cat slaughters in the 15th century and etc.


message 3: by Trish (new)

Trish I always loved Claude Monet's "Sleeping Cat" and even have a print of Franz Marc's "Two Cats" (although there are three). ;P


message 4: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Thanks for taking the time to show all these photos of the insides of this book. I’m curious—why 3 stars?


message 5: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Donna wrote: "Thanks for including all these photos from the book, Carmen! They were fun to look at, though some of the cats didn’t look like they were having a good time. :)"

Yes. What Donna says!

My favorite of these is the Renoir "Mademoiselle Julie Manet with Cat." What about you, Carmen?


message 6: by Carmen (last edited Jan 22, 2018 10:30AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Carmen Trish wrote: "I always loved Claude Monet's "Sleeping Cat" and even have a print of Franz Marc's "Two Cats" (although there are three). ;P"

There are three? A lot of this art would be good to have as a print in your house.


Carmen Debbie wrote: "Thanks for taking the time to show all these photos of the insides of this book. I’m curious—why 3 stars?"

I was thinking of changing the rating. But I don't know. Cats. In Art. *shrug* It was pretty and interesting but not... you know...


Carmen Caroline wrote: "Donna wrote: "Thanks for including all these photos from the book, Carmen! They were fun to look at, though some of the cats didn’t look like they were having a good time. :)"

Yes. What Donna says..."


Caroline, yes. The Renoir is amazing. The cat looks so happy. I also like COAXING IS BETTER THAN TEASING, again, because of the cat. I also like


Frederick the Literate
Charles Wysocki 1992

and


14th Century Indian princess with her pet cat


But I think my all-time favorite is Tokuhiro Kawai's HARBINGER OF STORM, 2003




message 9: by Trish (new)

Trish Carmen wrote: "Trish wrote: "I always loved Claude Monet's "Sleeping Cat" and even have a print of Franz Marc's "Two Cats" (although there are three). ;P"

There are three? A lot of this art would be good to have..."


The blue, the yellow and the reddish-brown one of which you only see the butt and tail.


message 10: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Carmen wrote: "Caroline, yes. The Renoir is amazing. The cat looks so happy. I also like COAXING IS BETTER THAN TEASING, again, because of the cat. I also like..."

Oh, I really like all of those. Thanks for posting them!


Cathy (cathepsut) Renoir and Gaugin's cats are my favourites of those you posted!


Carmen Oh, I see what you mean, Trish!


Carmen Caroline wrote: "Carmen wrote: "Caroline, yes. The Renoir is amazing. The cat looks so happy. I also like COAXING IS BETTER THAN TEASING, again, because of the cat. I also like..."

Oh, I really like all of those. Thanks for posting them!..."


You're welcome, Caroline!


Carmen Cathy (cathepsut) wrote: "Renoir and Gaugin's cats are my favourites of those you posted!"

I can see why. The Renoir is especially lovely.


message 15: by Audrey (new)

Audrey That seventh one (white cat in a ball licking its butt) so defines cats.


Carmen Audrey wrote: "That seventh one (white cat in a ball licking its butt) so defines cats."

LOL True. :)


Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Lovely!! Well, not so much the tongue and butt 😂🤣


Carmen Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ wrote: "Lovely!! Well, not so much the tongue and butt 😂🤣"

LOL Thanks, Melissa!


back to top