Carmen's Reviews > Cats in Art

Cats in Art by Desmond Morris

I don't know what to tell you. It's a book about cats in art.

5,000 B.C. Libya

Tomb of May 1500 B.C.

1400 B.C.

Pompeii 2nd century B.C.

I am here, do not forget me.

13th Century

1975

Leonor Fini
Sunday Afternoon
1980

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cats in Art.

January 21, 2018 – Started Reading
January 21, 2018 – Shelved
January 21, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)

message 1: by Donna (new)

Donna Thanks for including all these photos from the book, Carmen! They were fun to look at, though some of the cats didn’t look like they were having a good time. :)

Carmen Donna wrote: "Thanks for including all these photos from the book, Carmen! They were fun to look at, though some of the cats didn’t look like they were having a good time. :)"

I know. People were really mean to cats. Luckily, things have gotten better than when they held massive cat slaughters in the 15th century and etc.

message 3: by Trish (new)

Trish I always loved Claude Monet's "Sleeping Cat" and even have a print of Franz Marc's "Two Cats" (although there are three). ;P

message 4: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Thanks for taking the time to show all these photos of the insides of this book. I’m curious—why 3 stars?

message 5: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Donna wrote: "Thanks for including all these photos from the book, Carmen! They were fun to look at, though some of the cats didn’t look like they were having a good time. :)"

Yes. What Donna says!

My favorite of these is the Renoir "Mademoiselle Julie Manet with Cat." What about you, Carmen?

message 6: by Carmen (last edited Jan 22, 2018 10:30AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Carmen Trish wrote: "I always loved Claude Monet's "Sleeping Cat" and even have a print of Franz Marc's "Two Cats" (although there are three). ;P"

There are three? A lot of this art would be good to have as a print in your house.

Carmen Debbie wrote: "Thanks for taking the time to show all these photos of the insides of this book. I’m curious—why 3 stars?"

I was thinking of changing the rating. But I don't know. Cats. In Art. *shrug* It was pretty and interesting but not... you know...

Carmen Caroline wrote: "Donna wrote: "Thanks for including all these photos from the book, Carmen! They were fun to look at, though some of the cats didn’t look like they were having a good time. :)"

Yes. What Donna says..."

Frederick the Literate
Charles Wysocki 1992

and

14th Century Indian princess with her pet cat

But I think my all-time favorite is Tokuhiro Kawai's HARBINGER OF STORM, 2003

message 9: by Trish (new)

Trish Carmen wrote: "Trish wrote: "I always loved Claude Monet's "Sleeping Cat" and even have a print of Franz Marc's "Two Cats" (although there are three). ;P"

There are three? A lot of this art would be good to have..."

The blue, the yellow and the reddish-brown one of which you only see the butt and tail.

message 10: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Carmen wrote: "Caroline, yes. The Renoir is amazing. The cat looks so happy. I also like COAXING IS BETTER THAN TEASING, again, because of the cat. I also like..."

Oh, I really like all of those. Thanks for posting them!

Cathy (cathepsut) Renoir and Gaugin's cats are my favourites of those you posted!

Carmen Oh, I see what you mean, Trish!

Carmen Caroline wrote: "Carmen wrote: "Caroline, yes. The Renoir is amazing. The cat looks so happy. I also like COAXING IS BETTER THAN TEASING, again, because of the cat. I also like..."

Oh, I really like all of those. Thanks for posting them!..."

You're welcome, Caroline!

Carmen Cathy (cathepsut) wrote: "Renoir and Gaugin's cats are my favourites of those you posted!"

I can see why. The Renoir is especially lovely.

message 15: by Audrey (new)

Audrey That seventh one (white cat in a ball licking its butt) so defines cats.

Carmen Audrey wrote: "That seventh one (white cat in a ball licking its butt) so defines cats."

LOL True. :)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Lovely!! Well, not so much the tongue and butt 😂🤣

Carmen Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ wrote: "Lovely!! Well, not so much the tongue and butt 😂🤣"

LOL Thanks, Melissa!