Helen Calder's Reviews > Demons on the Dalton

Demons on the Dalton by Donald Firesmith

This is the second book in a series. I read and enjoyed the first book, Hell Holes: What Lurks Below. Like Hell Holes 1 this is a fast, exciting read and if you like books in which our world is not as it seems then you will probably like this.

The writer made the bold choice to use a different character as the first person narrator in this book. I think the choice worked to both extend the cliffhanger at the end of the first book and to give a slightly different perspective on the events of the first book. While I don’t like to hand out virtual cookies to male authors for being able to write convincing women I think he’s done an excellent job of writing from a female point of view. This narrator has a different narrative voice than the narrator of the first book but the feel of the world of the story remains consistent which is not necessarily an easy feat to pull off.

My only real criticism is that there’s a lot of exposition. I think it’s a mostly unavoidable side effect of being the second book of a series that has a lot of world building going on. At least this exposition is well written and fits naturally into the dialogue scenes. The reader is learning stuff at the same time as the characters are.

All in all an excellent sequel that sets things up well for the third book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Demons on the Dalton.

January 15, 2018 – Started Reading