James's Reviews > Play With Fire

Play With Fire by Dana Stabenow

liked it
bookshelves: modern-fiction

A surprising choice for me, not generally being a fan of the mystery genre, though I am a fan of stories set in America. It was an easy read, but the plot was a bit hollow and too focused on pointing out the failures of religious fundamentalists.

I have never heard of this series before, but this was in the Strong, Independent Woman mould. Unfortunately, this story featured far too many scenes poking holes in the Bible and the teaching of creationism. The issue wasn't that it was included at all, just that it took up too much of the novel compared to the plot - without giving too much away, there aren't too many suspects to choose from.

What the author does well is setting the scene - description of the setting is hardly a new idea but Stabenow really transports you into the Alaskan forest. Unfortunately it also falls into facile complaints, with the dumb tourist and the corporate fast food joints two victims of the protagonist's ire.

In terms of escapism, the book did it's job, but despite some positives, this won't linger long in my memory.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Play With Fire.

Started Reading