Mary Gramlich's Reviews > Night Hawk

Oct 23, 2011

Read in October, 2011

NIGHT HAWK by Beverly Jenkins
10/11 - HarperCollins Publishers - Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages

Does life always work out the way it is intended?

Ian Vance Bigelow may have started out his life as the illegitimate grandson of a Scottish Laird but he rose to become a Bounty Hunter and US Marshall known as the Preacher. Ian was as full of the Holy Spirit as he was weapons and would use both as the situation deemed appropriate. When this tough bounty hunter collides with Maggie Freeman a sassy spitfire of a woman, he is not sure what hit him.

Maggie is under arrest for a crime she did not commit and Ian is trying to haul her from one part of the country to the next to get the issue resolved. He did not ask for this job but on the way back to Wyoming he might as well take care of her and get a train ride out of the deal. However, Maggie is not going quietly onto that train and her goal is escape not some trumped up charge she cannot beat.

Both Maggie and Ian know of discrimination and disgrace brought upon them by simple being people of color who are specifically of mixed descent. Both of them have taken the cards they have been dealt and made a respectable life for themselves. The predetermined mindset of people has been used, as life lessons not something to weigh them down but make them who they have become.

The journey on the train is tough with every city having a story and the people they meet sharing their history. The time draws out with one train after another but the more they are together the more Ian and Maggie realize they are meant to be together. But the past always comes back to find you and when it does will it be the salvation of this couple or the undoing?

This book will have readers sighing over the romance and amazed by the historical significance of the story, unable to put the book down. Beverly Jenkins is brilliant at rolling history around an historical romance with characters that make us aware of how much those before us had to overcome to bring us to the place we are today.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night Hawk.

message 1: by Diane (new) - added it

Diane I've heard amazing and exciting things about this book. I'd love to read it and have added it to my "wish list".

Thanks for an amazing review.