Debbie's Reviews > The Killing Zone: The United States Wages Cold War in Latin America

The Killing Zone by Stephen G. Rabe

F 50x66
Oct 23, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: latin-america
Read from October 23 to 26, 2011

This is a good overview of US-Latin American relations during the Cold War but Rabe does not make any new arguments here. Is best for an undergraduate course on the Cold War to look at one regional evolution.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Killing Zone.

message 1: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa I've been meaning to look at this. Would this make a good teaching text for a class on the Latin American Cold War or US Foreign relations in the 20th century?

Debbie I think it would be better for the latter, for the former, it would only be good if you wanted to spend a class on the American role (or as a text to complement longer texts with regionally). It is basically an overview of case studies from Truman-Reagan...not very thought-provoking or in depth but a good overview for student unfamiliar with the topic!

message 3: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Good to know. I have a copy that I need to look at. Just haven't had the time. I love reading your updates. How is prelim prep going?

Debbie going...! right now I have a huge pile of midterms :) How is teaching for you going this semester!?

message 5: by Vanessa (last edited Oct 27, 2011 01:28PM) (new)

Vanessa Going! Three classes is a lot, but I am having fun with them. My intro to historical thinking class is (frankly) a bit boring at times, but I think the students are getting some useful skills out if it. If I can only wean them off of the "our great nation" or "Lincoln, the hero" language, I will consider it a success.

Debbie :) I don't blame you. Wow three is a lot...! But I am glad to hear they are fun most of the time.

message 7: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa I'll trade you--I'll do some reading for your prelims if you grade some of my papers. Deal? :)