Malissa's Reviews > My Scot, My Surrender

My Scot, My Surrender by Amalie Howard

bookshelves: arcs, historical, part-of-a-series, romance, standalone

I have really enjoyed all the books in this series and am sad that this is the last one (come on we need a spin off with all of Sorcha's brothers...PLEEEAAASSSSE!) but what a wonderful way to end it.

I won't go into detail about everything that happens because well, you have the description up top and because this one is pretty action packed with lots of little fun and interesting twists and turns that I want you to discover on your own. What I will talk about is how much I loved the character of Sorcha. She is the Scottish Lass you expect. There is a wildness to here, you can imagine her stealing across the highlands on her Scottish Destrier yelling FREEDOM while a band of rogues attempt to chase her down only to find themselves being felled at the point of HER claymore! In another world her name may have been Merida! ;-) I loved her attitude, her love of her family but also of her personal freedom and herself. Considering the challenges that have followed her through her life the fact that she is as resilient as she is is a testament to her strength and the love of her family.

Brandt is a favorite of this series as well. I adored his quiet fierceness. His ability to be happy with who and where he is in his life but also his secret desire to know his past and what a past it is! I don't think you will be shocked when you discover what his past holds, I don't think it is intended to be a secret from the reader but it is fun to watch it all play out.

I really loved the light hearted feel through out this book. This is a wild story, full of action and fear (as far as the characters are concerned) and yet there is an underlying happiness through out it all. Without the humor this story wouldn't have come off as realistic and beautiful as it does. There is so much personal pain with these two characters and yet together they are able to find the joy in life that makes a readers own heart soar.

I also loved the cast of side characters, (as you may have guessed from my begging for more books) Sorcha's brothers are much like she is with that wild Scottish fierceness that makes you just fall instantly in love with them and of course some characters, that you have to meet on your own before I can talk to you about them, who have lived such a hard and sad life and deserve more than any others to have their story told and their own happily ever after.

On that note I will say, do not go into this book with a wealth of historical knowledge and think that you are getting a lesson in the era's history. This is a light take on the attitudes, behaviors, speech, etiquette, at the time. If you are expecting this to be a throughly accurate account of the life of Regency characters you will be disappointed. If you go in knowing this is just a fun read with a historical context than I think you will thoroughly enjoy this story for the story that it is.

~ HAPPY READING ~

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Scot, My Surrender.

January 20, 2018 – Started Reading