Josiah's Reviews > How to Think: A Survival Guide for a World at Odds

How to Think by Alan Jacobs

bookshelves: best-of-2018, general-nonfiction
Read 2 times. Last read May 18, 2019.

Everyone probably has a clear idea of who they believe the ideal audience is. "I need to give this book to my #MAGA-loving uncle." "My SJW-niece really needs to learn how to think."

The truth of the matter is that this is a book you need to read, and I know this because this is a book that I needed to read. While I tend to think of myself as a good thinker most of the time, this book pointed out several places where I don't think as well as I could and led me to think more about what it really means to think--and how much of a sacrifice it can be for us to think at times.

This is one of the best books I've read this year and one that everyone needs to read. May be requiring this as reading for some of my high school students next year. Highly recommended.

EDIT: Revisiting this a year later after reading through it a second time and requiring it as a textbook for a Speech and Debate class I taught this year. My thoughts are more-or-less the same as earlier, but with a few more caveats. This read-through, I found parts of the book to ramble too much without a clear point and found that it was more a book with a lot of decent parts and then a few gems rather than being all gems. I still really like this book and think the general ethos it's commending is essential for thinking well, but at times it feels more like a series of vignettes about thinking than a developing argument/roadmap for how to think well.

4-4.5 Stars (Excellent).
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Think.

January 20, 2018 – Shelved