Catherine's Reviews > Help! For Writers: 210 Solutions to the Problems Every Writer Faces

Help! For Writers by Roy Peter Clark

bookshelves: keepers-favorites

At first I didn't like this book, until the 4th page. And then a lightbulb went off and wow. I began "getting it". I restarted and chose a chapter I thought would be of help of where I am as a writer. Ever so slowly I began. This time instead of rushing through to finish a chapter, I took a deep breath and began reading a small section of that chapter. My thinking began to see how it would help me as a writer. My mind wondered into my own use in the currently book I'm writing. It was a wonderful experience. I apologize Roy Peter Clark, the author, of jumping the gun and trying to run through your book. Like the cliche is said, if you want to eat an elephant you must do it one bite at a time. This is the way I view your book. I experienced your shared thoughts that flowed easily to my own writing. I learned to take a bite and stop. Turn your suggestion, thought, into stories from memory and new thoughts into more memories. I began with a library copy and 3/4 the way through the book I purchase a hard copy for my permanent shelt. I believe this book will keep giving, helping, my writing for years to come. This book, for me, has a much higher rating than just six stars. I am so glad I have a permanent copy of my shelf. I look forward to re-reading every chapter one bite at a time over the many years ahead.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Help! For Writers.

November 1, 2017 – Started Reading