Mary Drover's Reviews > The Light Between Oceans

The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman

bookshelves: contemporary

Wow, this hurt my soul. I've got a ton of adult literary fiction on my overall TBR, and I'm slowly starting to knock them off, which of course meant that I should start with the saddest one. Like, this only kind of has a happy ending? This follows a young couple who live on a remote island 100 miles off of the coast of Australia. They tend to the lighthouse there, and when a small rowboat washes up on its shores with a dead father and his wailing baby, Isabel quickly takes the baby up to their cottage and starts caring for it. After some very heavy topics concerning childbirth, Isabel is not really in the right state of mind when she finds the baby. She manages to convince her husband, Tom, to keep the baby, determined to believe that if the father was dead in the rowboat, then clearly the wife drowned somewhere out at sea.

One of the things I loved most about this book is how Isabel is handled. She's in a unique situation as a character, where she is both victim and perpetrator, and it's really interesting how that story is told. I felt strongly for her, but was also appalled at her actions. Tom struggles a lot with what they've done, as well, and being able to see through his perspective helped a lot in navigating these tricky waters. Overall, this is superbly written, and it reminded me why I like adult literary fiction in the first place.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Light Between Oceans.

January 20, 2018 – Shelved
January 20, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
July 18, 2019 – Started Reading
July 18, 2019 –
page 51
14.78% "Ohhhhh, this is going to break my heart."
July 19, 2019 –
page 100
28.99% "No, don't mind me, I'm just quietly going to cry over here.

Why is literary fiction always so unbearably sad???"
July 23, 2019 –