Alexandra's Reviews > 6 Mountain Brothers for Christmas

6 Mountain Brothers for Christmas by Rye Hart

did not like it
bookshelves: ebook

Some random thoughts.

1. I've read enough... odd, shall we say, erotica on the internets to know that my problem with the book is not the entire 'reverse harem' thing, or whatever it is that kids call it these days. :P

2. I skimmed through most sex scenes. Couldn't get into them.

3. Sex scenes weren't the only scenes I skimmed through. I read a lot of the book diagonally.

4. I just couldn't believe a lot of characterisation and voices for the most part. Many of these were cliche as well. Like, pent-up anger? Throw 'fuck' around. Writer? Quiet, secluded type. Asshole fiance? Forgets everyone's names.

5. Yet some characterisation and passages rang surprisingly true. The brothers' and the heroine's grief over the loss of loved ones was well handled. So I suppose it's just hard to write a book from seven POVs.

6. There was a lot of text that I'm sure could have been edited out. Some story lines, too, could have been left as a back story. On the other hand, there were some characters that were sprung at us at the start with a load of talk about the heroine's sex life ("So how's your sex life anyway?" (C)), never to be seen or heard from again.

7. Does this book pass the Bechdel test? I don't remember. It probably doesn't.

I find it hard to rate this, because certain passages of 'clean' romance between the heroine and the brothers were actually very touching. Her relationship with her father was nicely done as well. I had a hard time believing that Kyra (I believe that's the name, I'm sorry, just like the asshole fiance, I'm bad with names) couldn't teach sex ed to school kids, but (spoiler alert) would go on having a one million subscribers psych advice channel on YT. I was fine with her just hitting it off with all six brothers like that despite her not being able to say the word 'penis', because eh, a woman's sexuality is a fluid thing.

I'll stick with a low rating, because I've had too many 'yeaaahhhh ... nope' moments through the narrative. I had to put the book away for a long time in order to finish it - that's why it took me a month. Maybe as the time goes I'll add another, but for now it's a one star from me.

PS: AND THAT NEIL GAIMAN REFERENCE WAS WRONG OK. AND OMG HANDS OFF P&P OMG.

k im done

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 6 Mountain Brothers for Christmas.

December 20, 2017 – Started Reading