Suzanne 's Reviews > The Iron Knight

Oct 23, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: kindle-read, faeries

Also reviewed at Paranormal Book Fan

Ash, former prince of the Winter Court, gave up everything. His title, his home, even his vow of loyalty. All for a girl… and all for nothing.

Unless he can earn a soul.

To cold, emotionless faery prince Ash, love was a weakness for mortals and fools. His own love had died a horrible death, killing any gentler feelings the Winter prince might have had. Or so he thought.

Then Meghan Chase—a half human, half fey slip of a girl— smashed through his barricades, binding him to her irrevocably with his oath to be her knight. And when all of Faery nearly fell to the Iron fey, she severed their bond to save his life. Meghan is now the Iron Queen, ruler of a realm where no Winter or Summer fey can survive.

With the (unwelcome) company of his archrival, Summer Court prankster Puck, and the infuriating cait sith Grimalkin, Ash begins a journey he is bound to see through to its end— a quest to find a way to honor his solemn vow to stand by Meghan’s side.

To survive in the Iron realm, Ash must have a soul and a mortal body. But the tests he must face to earn these things are impossible. At least, no one has ever passed to tell the tale.

And then Ash learns something that changes everything. A truth that turns reality upside down, challenges his darkest beliefs and shows him that, sometimes, it takes more than courage to make the ultimate sacrifice.

Ok, how to review this. Well I got a happy ending, thank God because I cannot handle a sad ending. But I had a knot of anxiety in me while reading this book. I have just finished it and I still feel in bad mood. I could not put it down because I had to see what happened, but I can't say I enjoyed it. From the start of the third trial, I was just stressed out. Wishing and hoping that things were going to take a turn. I just couldn't bear for Ash to end up like that.

I will not read this book again. It just left me with a sad, foreboding feeling even though things seemed to have turned out in the end.

The story starts with Ash and Puck going in search of Grimalkin. Along the way, they gain the company of the big bad wolf, who I liked in spite of who he is. And Ariella, who I did not trust throughout the entire book and was totally shocked at what she did in the end.

I wasn't enjoying this book, even before it started to stress me out. Even though there was a lot of action, I found I was getting bored. I really missed Meghan.

This book was a total let down to the end of a fantastic series. I love Ash, and enjoyed being inside his head, but it just wasn't enough.

I really, really wish that I could be finishing this series on a happier note, but the tone of this book just wasn't for me.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron Knight.

Quotes Suzanne Liked

Julie Kagawa
“I had been in love with Ariella. I remembered what she'd meant to me, what I'd felt for her then...
... and what I didn't feel for her now.”

Julie Kagawa
“I have come from the End of the World. From the River of Dreams, through the gauntlet and the Briar and the Deep Wyld, in order to stand before you today. I have but one request—to take my place at your side. To resume my duty as your knight, and to protect you and your kingdom for as long as I draw breath.”
tags: love

Julie Kagawa
“You're here," I murmured, reaching out to touch him, hardly believing this was real. "You came back." Ash's breath hitched, and he put his hand over mine.
"I came home.”

Julie Kagawa
“Ari...I will always love you. I always have.Nothing will change that." I squeezed her hand, then gently released it. "You'll always be a part of me. But...I'm not in love with you...anymore.And despite my promise,despite seeing you again, I do this because I want to be with Meghan, nothing else" Ariella's eyes glazed over, and I eased back, speaking as gently as I could "I can't be yours, Ariella. I'm sorry.”

Julie Kagawa
“If Puck was dead, my world would become as cold and lifeless as the darkest night in the Winter Court”

October 23, 2011 – Shelved
February 1, 2012 – Started Reading
February 2, 2012 –
84.0% "I can't put this down. But I hope it doesn't end like this, I'm not liking the way things are"
February 2, 2012 –
0.0% "Thankfully I got my happy ending. I can't do sad endings."
February 2, 2012 – Finished Reading