Suzanne 's Reviews > The Iron Queen

Oct 23, 2011

bookshelves: favourites, faeries

Also reviewed at Paranormal Book Fan

My name is Meghan Chase.
I thought it was over. That my time with the fey, the impossible choices I had to make, the sacrifices of those I loved, was behind me. But a storm is approaching, an army of Iron fey that will drag me back, kicking and screaming. Drag me away from the banished prince who's sworn to stand by my side. Drag me into the core of conflict so powerful, I'm not sure anyone can survive it.

This time, there will be no turning back.

Unbelievably, this was even better than the first two. The action just didn't stop and it had its fair share of romantic encounters too. Ash had me swooning, who knew he would turn out to be so soft and mushy. We see a completely different side to him as he drops his ice cold façade and opens up with Meghan.

Pucks emotions get the better of him and he goes from being a light hearted prankster to being bitter and mean. But who can blame him. His feelings have been hurt and it eventually all comes out against Meghan.

Grimalkin, what can I say. I love him. I don't think the books would be the same without him. "I am a cat". Those simple words have taken on new meaning for me lol.

A lot rests on Meghan's shoulders in this book but, she stands up to the task of her biggest challenge yet. She must save the Nevernever from the false Iron King and his iron army or all of faery world will die. But again, she is brave and determined and does what she has to do. Her character has developed so much from the first book, The Iron King, and she is amazing.

This book is imaginative, gripping and funny while being an emotional rollercoaster. I laughed, I swooned, I cried. Fantastic read. Would definitely recommend it. I can't wait to read The Iron King. One of the advantages of reading a series when all the books have been released, I can just read straight through :)

Off to read Summer Crossing now, before starting The Iron King.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron Queen.

Quotes Suzanne Liked

Julie Kagawa
“But ... but what if I hit you?”
A snort. “You’re not going to hit me.”
“How do you know?” I bristled at his amused tone. “I could hit you. Even master swordsmen make mistakes. I could get a lucky shot, or you might not see me coming. I don’t want to hurt you.”
He favored me with another patient look. “And how much experience do you have with swords and weapons in general?”
“Um.” I glanced down at the saber in my hand. “Thirty seconds?”
He smiled, that calm, irritatingly confident smirk. “You’re not going to hit me.”

Julie Kagawa
“His forehead bumped softly against mine, his brilliant silver gaze searing into me. “I plan to keep you, from everyone, for as long as I’m alive. That includes Puck, the false king, and anyone else who would take you away.” One corner of his mouth quirked, as I struggled to catch my breath under his powerful scrutiny. “I guess I should’ve warned you that I have a slight possessive streak.”

Julie Kagawa
“One more thing,” Ash said in his dangerous, soft voice as we turned away. “If you do not return with her,” Ash continued, staring him down, “if she comes to any harm while she is with you, I will turn this entire camp into a bloodbath. That is my promise, lieutenant.”

Julie Kagawa
“You are my heart, my life, my entire existence."
-Ash”

Julie Kagawa
“My name is Ashallyn'darkmyr Tallyn, third son of the Unseelie Court...Let it be known--from this day forth, I vow to protect Meghan Chase, daughter of the Summer King, with my sword, my honor, and my life. Her desires are mine. Her wishes are mine. Should even the world stand against her, my blade will be at her side. And should it fail to protect her, let my own existence be forfeit. This I swear, on my honor, my True Name, and my life. From this day on..." His voice went even softer, but I still heard it as though he whispered it into my ear. "I am yours.”

Julie Kagawa
“I kissed him. His arms slid around me and drew me close, and we stayed like that for a while, my hands tangled in his hair, his cool lips on mine. My earlier thoughts in the crypt came back to haunt me, and I shoved them into the darkest corner of my mind. I would not give him up. I would find a way to have a happy ending, for both of us.”

Julie Kagawa
“Ash brought my hand to his lips, his eyes never leaving mine. "I love you, Meghan Chase," he murmured against my skin. "For the rest of my life, however long we have left. I'll consider it an honor to die beside you.”

Julie Kagawa
“A soft noise, almost a sob. Ash rose, hesitated, as if fighting the compulsion to obey. "I will always be your knight, Meghan Chase," he whispered in a strained voice, as if every moment he remained was painful to him. "And I swear, if there is a way for us to be together, I will find it. No matter how long it takes. If I have to chase your soul to the ends of eternity, I won't stop until I find you, I promise."

And then he was gone.”

Julie Kagawa
“I want her to be happy, and she's most happy with you. Maybe this will make up for... past mistakes." He shook his head and returned to his normal idiocy. "So, either you say, 'Sure, I'd love to have you along,' or you have a big bird dropping things on your head the whole trip.”

Julie Kagawa
“If I'd thought I would regret it," he said calmly, "I never would have made that oath. I knew what becoming a knight would mean. And if you asked me again, the answer would still be the same." He sighed, framing my face with his hands. "My life... everything I am... belongs to you.”

Julie Kagawa
“He was my best friend, and I'd always have a spot for him in my heart, but... it was you, Ash. I didn't really have a choice. It's always been you.”

Julie Kagawa
“Well, don't worry about it too much, princess. Let ice-boy cool off for the night and then try to talk to him tomorrow. He won't stay angry with you too long, I bet. Ash isn't one to hold a grudge. ''
''What are you talking about? He's held a grudge against you for centuries!''
''Oh, right.”

Julie Kagawa
“My, aren't we bossy today. Give a girl an army and it goes straight to her head.”
tags: puck

Julie Kagawa
“I learned that love can transcend race and time, and that it can be beautiful and perfect and worth fighting for but also fragile and heartbreaking, and sometimes sacrifice is necessary. That sometimes it's you against the world, and there are no easy answers. That you have to know when to hold on...and when to let go. And even if that love comes back, you could discover something in someone else who has been there all along.”

October 23, 2011 – Shelved