Tim Casteel's Reviews > The Next Evangelicalism: Freeing the Church from Western Cultural Captivity

The Next Evangelicalism by Soong-Chan Rah

I read 100 books in 2018 and Next Evangelicalism is in my top 2 (#1? Jordan Peterson’s 12 Rules for Life).

Dr. Rah makes a compelling case that the future of Christianity in America rests on the shoulders of immigrants and ethnic minority leaders.

The U.S. will be a majority minority country by 2050. Colleges will become majority nonwhite before the rest of the U.S.
"Unless [churches/parachurches] see growth among the ethnic minority population within their [congregation] they will experience steady decline.”

My top 5 takeaways (with a few key quotes below) :
1. "Contrary to popular opinion, the church is not dying in America; it is alive and well, but it is alive & well among the immigrant & ethnic minority communities"
2. Multiracial Americans will lead the 21st century American church
3. The flood of immigrants in the past few decades has been a God-ordained action to save the American church
4. "While the demographics of American Christianity are changing, the leadership of American evangelicalism continues to be dominated by white Americans."
5. Ironically, it is Theological Liberalism to value individualism over the clear Biblical mandate for justice

1: "White churches [in America] are in decline while the immigrant, ethnic and multiethnic churches are flourishing. Very few have recognized that American Christianity may actually be growing, but in unexpected and surprising ways. The restoration of faith in American culture may actually depend on the ongoing growth of immigrant and ethnic minority Christian communities.”

2: "Biracial and multiracial Americans have the advantage of navigating multiple racial identities, giving them insight into the next evangelicalism" and sets them up to lead the increasingly diverse American church
"The experience of liminality [or "in betweenness"] can provide an advantage in living [& leading] in a multicultural context…and addressing the challenges of multiethnicity”
"Multiethnic ministry cannot occur without the unique skills offered by bicultural Americans.”

3: "Immigration is a fact of American life. For centuries, peoples from far-off lands have landed upon the shores of the United States, both willingly & by force. If we really want to understand America, we must understand the immigrant story."

"The question of immigration presents an interesting dilemma for majority-culture Christians. Immigrants/ethnic minorities are saving American Christianity. Immigrants & ethnic minorities tend to be socially & morally conservative.”

"A seemingly God-ordained action in the last few decades has been the influx of [Christian or soon-to-be-Christian] immigrants to the shores of the United States to offset the decline of the white church in America.”

"Often the perception of the immigrant church by the majority culture is of a mission field in our own backyard, in desperate need of our help. Is there a possibility of seeing the immigrant church, not as a place of need, but a church from whom the dominant culture could learn?”
"Are we willing to acknowledge that the immigrant church that appears to be a people in need, might actually have something to teach us?

4: "The acknowledged leadership of American evangelicalism is white [famous authors, speakers, pastors], but the face of American evangelicalism is now multiracial.
Among evangelical seminaries, the percentage of nonwhite student enrollment has increased from approximately 15% in 1977 to 31% in 2005. However the percentage of faculty of color in 2005 stood at 12%.”

5: "Theological liberalism is acquiescence to culture by the church & subsequent compromising of the gospel message. [in] 20th century [they] sacrificed the high view of Scripture/orthodox Christology [to appeal to] cultural norms.
…The tables have turned, however…The liberals of the twentieth century allowed the culture to shape their theology, but how much of [conservative] American evangelicalism is now shaped by the culture?
When evangelicals deny the Scriptures' call to be concerned for social justice & social concerns, we are influenced by the cultural norm of individualism, rather than Scriptural norms. What, therefore, is the real expression of liberalism in the twenty-first century?"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Next Evangelicalism.

January 20, 2018 – Started Reading
January 20, 2018 – Shelved
January 21, 2018 –
page 0
January 21, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Matt (new)

Matt Brief review?

message 2: by Tim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tim Casteel Matt wrote: "Brief review?"
Not sure if I succeeded at the "brief" part, but thanks for the encouragement to take the time to sort through my thoughts on it!