C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Wicked King

The Wicked King by Holly Black

bookshelves: 5-star, best-of-2019, paranormal, read-2019, young-adult, audio-books, reread
Read 2 times. Last read October 22, 2019 to October 27, 2019.

[Read 2] Oct 2019
oh I way miscalculated and read this too early and now my soul has cleaved in two in earnest suffering while needing Queen of Nothing. I read this book twice this year??? Because I wanted to stab myself twice, apparently? 10/10 to the audiobook, though, absolutely stunning. And also I shall go die now. I am too obsessed.

[Read 1] Jan 2019
WHY DON'T YOU JUST PICK UP MY LIMP CARCASS AND TOSS IT 50FT INTO THE SEA TOO. omfg. This was excellent in the most ragey beautiful perfectly poisonous and mind twisty way. I am reeling and also want to s c r e a m myself into the next dimension because

I
need
book

ajfdsaldhgoh these feelings should be illegal. i am not used to feeling all these things.

➸ Again I put forth the fact that these are the MOST Slytherin books.
They are about mind games and plot twists. They are about characters outwitting and undermining each other, and not just Jude. We have Madoc playing his own games and Cardan starts to stop being a veritable flop and grows into his sullen mouth and power as the high king, and that's not even counting on the OTHER COURTS who have agendas and wishes. The queen of the undersea, Orlagh, features in this one and she is putting forth her own murder games. And I just !!! you think you know something and then tHERE IS A DECOY PLOT FOR THE DECOY PLOT. I can't even.

My heart is just thRIVING on this. I swear. My slytherin soul sings.

Cardan and Jude? Slayed me. I am dead. fUlly fully dead.
I mean from the moment Cardan sleight-of-hand steals Jude's ring and then wears it, we know he is flirting with her. They hate that they like each other bUT THEY DO. And look: I'm not a romance-inclined person: but omfg these two. They kisses. The murder-flirting (shh that's a term). The tWISTS at the end with what these two do together...I just...I cannot. It gave us more more more of what we wanted and also managed to make it vicious and untrustworthy and intoxicating. THIS IS HATE-TO-LOVE (?? i mean, not quite love but something) AT ITS FINEST.

Also the stakes just crawl higher.
Jude learns the very important lesson that claiming power is much easier than keeping it. And omg this girl. I want her to have a nap. The book is set 5months after TCP, and Jude basically never sleeps. She needs a soft pretzel and a hug from someone she can trust (WHO, THO. REALLY WHO) and I love her to pieces. But we have murder, betrayal, vicious mind-games, lust and love and entrancing kisses, and friendships you want to trust but oh oh can you trust anything?!

And we already know Holly Black is a WRITING QUEEN.
Her descriptions just have me falling head-over-heels in love with Faerie. Yes, hopeless mortal here *waves languidly* don't even care. I just LOVE the descriptions, the fey culture, how she weaves in other courts and their games and japes and terrors.

...am I going to stop gushing soon??? I DON'T KNOW, AM I?!? I freaking adored this book. I knew I would but like holy wow it sets the bar so high for 2019.

But what I like best is that (a) it's surprising and maddening, (b) it takes you on an adventure that is like dancing on silver knife blades, (c) it gives you a sliver of what you want and then snatches it away, and (d) THAT CLIFFHANGER. THAT ENDING. JUDE. CARDAN. I LOVE THEM AND MY WHOLE SELF HURTS.

PERFECT SERIES IS PERFECT.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wicked King.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Holly Black
“Kiss me again,” he says, drunk and foolish. “Kiss me until I am sick of it.”

Holly Black
“The three of you have one solution to every problem. Murder. No key fits every lock.” Cardan gives us all a stern look, holding up a long-fingered hand with my stolen ruby ring still on one finger. “Someone tries to betray the High King, murder. Someone gives you a harsh look, murder. Someone disrespects you, murder. Someone ruins your laundry, murder.

Holly Black
“He looks up at me with his night-colored eyes, beautiful and terrible all at once. “For a moment,” he says, “I wondered if it wasn’t you shooting bolts at me.”

I make a face at him. “And what made you decide it wasn’t?”

He grins up at me. “They missed.”

January 20, 2018 – Shelved
January 20, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
January 9, 2019 – Started Reading
January 9, 2019 –
page 39
11.61% "I am so n e r v o u s right now pls scrape me off the floor soon for I will doubtless be a smeared scream."
January 10, 2019 –
page 188
55.95% "Cardan: [steals a ring off Jude without her noticing and wears it]
Jude: i have been betrayed!! i have been wronged!!
Me: HE'S FLIRTING, YOU UNDERCOOKED ACORN."
January 10, 2019 – Shelved as: 5-star
January 10, 2019 – Finished Reading
October 22, 2019 – Started Reading
October 26, 2019 –
page 248
73.81% "I have everyone in this e n t i r e book who hurts Jude"
October 27, 2019 – Shelved as: audio-books
October 27, 2019 – Shelved as: reread
October 27, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)

message 1: by Mandy (new) - added it

Mandy Webb SSSSOBS. I HAVE TO WAIT TILL MONDAY TO READ IT AND THIS REVIEW MAKES ME WANT TO DENY ALL HUMAN RESPONSIBILITIES AND FIND A REMOTE ISLAND WHERE I CAN SINK MY TEETH INTO THIS BOOK

Ceridwenn Love your review!! And my heart is in pieces too! Can’t wait for book 3 I have a million theories to explain the ending!

Sharanya I just finished it yesterday and AAAAAAHHHH. AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH.

...that’s pretty much all my brain has been doing since.

message 4: by Charis (new) - added it

Charis Rae I NEED THIS NOW. ALL THE SLYTHERINS AND STABBY CHARACTERS AHHH.

Ethney Stewart I WANT BOOK 3!!!!!

Melanie I am a dumbass mortal who would make a horrible bargain with one of the folk to get my hands on Queen of Nothing. THAT ENDING KILLED ME

xtaline Yup this sums up everything... the agony of waiting another year! Ugh.

C.G. Drews waiting is killllling me. But I guess the title of book 3 makes sense now?!?

message 9: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Your reviews crack me up. 😂

Emily I JUST FINISHED AND IDK WHAT TO DO WITH MYSELF. How do I read another boo until I know what happens after this one??????? Arghhhh 😫😫

Emily *book

message 12: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews Emily wrote: "I JUST FINISHED AND IDK WHAT TO DO WITH MYSELF. How do I read another boo until I know what happens after this one??????? Arghhhh 😫😫"

I AM WITH YOU ON THIS 😭

AHHHHHH I FINSHED SOME TWENTY MINUTES AGO, AND EVEN THOUGH I WAS SPOILED A BIT FOR THE END, I JUST??? The last three chapters had me actually struggling to remain calm (I did not, in fact, remain calm). (view spoiler)

message 14: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews “Ahhhhhh” wrote: "I FINSHED SOME TWENTY MINUTES AGO, AND EVEN THOUGH I WAS SPOILED A BIT FOR THE END, I JUST??? The last three chapters had me actually struggling to remain calm (I did not, in fact, remain calm). [s..."

omg I know the FEELS I DO. I'm still internally screaming and will be for the next 11 months waiting for the third book fajdslad (view spoiler)

AHHHHHH (view spoiler)

message 16: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews “Ahhhhhh” wrote: "[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 17: by Eden (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eden THIS IS SO ACCURATE! THE ENDING. WHAT EVEN. HOW DO I FUNCTION WITHOUT BOOK THREE. I NEED TO KNOW. NOW.

Hallie Christensen to comment on those that have suggested how book 3 end (view spoiler)

Samantha Fannin As a Gryffindor, I ABSOLUTELY love that this a Slytherin book. I NEED the plots, schemes, betrayal, love, loss, lust, power and KINGDOMS

message 20: by Cal (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cal (Cal's Reading Corner) I feel like the ring that Cardan was more significant than letting on and then that ending happened and im like

Holly Black

... the master of foreshadowing imagery

WOW